Holy Week in the Philippines-Passion & Pain! (Warning Graphi

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Holy Week in the Philippines-Passion & Pain! (Warning Graphi

Postby bear the dog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am

Reza (blindripper23) and I went on one heck of a journey through the Philippines starting with the province of Pampanga, host of the annual Holy Week Festival and then further up north to the mountain province of Ifugao to see the Rice Terraces before heading way down south where no white man should go without a small army, or a guy named Joey.

Of all the times I’ve been to the Philippines, I had not yet been there during the time of Holy Week. No matter where I’ve been and which landmarks I visited (Chocolate Hills, Mayon Volcano, Subic Jungle, Mindanao, Banaue Rice Terraces), people always seem to stomp me by asking “Have you seen Holy Week?” Finally I can say yes to that one.

There are few times, if any where shopping malls are closed and ATM’s offline. Even the transit system is out of operation from Holy Thursday to Good Friday.

Manila

Nothing says Holy Week like squid on a stick!

China Town in Manila

Pampanga, Philippines

To get there and be in the right place we were up by 3:30am, gone by 4am, got there around 6:30am (after being lost a little) and started roaming around the streets looking for people performing their penitence.

To my knowledge the Catholic Church doesn't recognize the legitimacy of this festival.

This guy will scoot and slide himself all the way to the closest church through the streets despite the hot ground, a task that will take most of the day. This sort of penitence is said to be the hardest.

These guys volunteer to show their faith by whipping themselves with dried bamboo fixed to ropes.
They suit up like soldiers going into battle, mentally preparing themselves for their penitence.

Cigarette guy comes around and gives them a love tap with his medieval looking gadget made of glass pieces fixed to a wooden paddle.

They take to the streets in a kind of “death march” as the somber mood files the air.

Getting in close means sometimes you get some blood splatter not only on yourself, but camera gear too.

And the spectators looked on

Then the Romans came and the festival ended with mock crucifixions. From what I gathered the guys crucified in the middle have real nails in them while the guys on the sides are tied to the cross.

-RB
bear the dog

Re: Holy Week in the Philippines-Passion & Pain! (Warning Gr

Postby coldharvest » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 am

fucking superb
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Some of the best phots I've seen on here, thanks for sharing them

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:52 pm

who says muslims have all the fun!
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 pm

I remember seeing this crazy shit as an 11 year old, just outside of Clark AFB in Angeles City. Pops took me to see it, and mom shit herself. Crazy ass fundies, hookers, war relics, Maoist guerrillas, mystery orange drink from a bag, those little sugar rolls...what a fucking place to be a kid.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:36 pm

coldharvest wrote:fucking superb

flipflop wrote:Some of the best phots I've seen on here, thanks for sharing them

Cheers

Indeed.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:41 am

Bloody good photos.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Return to Black Flag Cafe