A Year in Taian, China

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: A Year in Taian, China

Postby Osiris » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Racist?

Chinese cab drivers have proved to me again and again, no matter where you are in the world, a black man can't catch a cab.

Really though I say racist stuff about everybody. Except Jews, they've had enough to deal with for one century.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Osiris wrote:Really though I say racist stuff about everybody.

I prefer to think of myself as being harshly critical of everybody who isn't me.
Except Jews, they've had enough to deal with for one century.

...what's happened to the Jews in the last 13 years?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ktrout » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:16 pm

coldharvest wrote:

It seems as if they haven't been able to catch a break for at least the past 2,000+ years or so.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:15 am

coldharvest wrote:
Osiris wrote:Really though I say racist stuff about everybody.

I prefer to think of myself as being harshly critical of everybody who isn't me.

2046 Won't be too soon to make holocaust jokes, right?
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tacos » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Osiris wrote:Racist?

Chinese cab drivers have proved to me again and again, no matter where you are in the world, a black man can't catch a cab.

Really though I say racist stuff about everybody. Except Jews, they've had enough to deal with for one century.

Whitey has trouble in that part of the world too.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:33 am

Yeah, there's a serious love/hate relationship this country has with foreigners.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:31 am

Osiris wrote:Yeah, there's a serious love/hate relationship this country has with foreigners.

They can be just a little racist, but anything negative about Chinese culture or China will get you called one.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Tru dat.

God forbid you get someone to start ranting about the 5000 years of history or whatever.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:10 am

No God is too large to not say anything about it.

People rot in their cities.
Sri Lanky

Postby ktrout » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:18 am

Osiris wrote:Tru dat.

God forbid you get someone to start ranting about the 5000 years of history or whatever.

Tell them that if that emperor 500 years ago (Qing dynasty, IIRC) hadn't outlawed international maritime trade and burned their ships 500 years ago the country might not have gotten to the point where a couple British ships got the whole country hooked on Opium and the country's wealth to crumble. My ex despises the Confucian system. Filial piety and authoritarianism was ultimately the country's downfall. The Chinese made some great technological innovations "back in the day". Now they can't do anything more than rip off Western brands and build iPhones in sweat shops.
What I saw sickened me. They're even letting the Forbidden City crumble. It would be like the British turning their heads while Buckhingham Palace falls into ruin. One of the coolest places I went to was an ancient walled city called PingYao that's on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Crumbling.
Yet in their schools they are systematically deluded of their greatness. I worked for a Chinese company where the CEO would always proclaim "Shanghai Engineers are the best anywhere!" Everything was a fucking disaster with the computer engineering equivalent of chewing gum and bailing twine. Seriously disastrous. That's typical of China.
People who don't have any business being developers but still are because it's where the money is. But it's a creative act not meant for everybody.
I've asked a few people that if Asians are so smart, why is most of Asia such a shit hole and what are they doing here?
Wow, I didn't mean to rant like that :).
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Just get it out man, get it out. Don't let that frustration build up.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Osiris wrote:Just get it out man, get it out. Don't let that frustration build up.

Oh, yeah. Stay away from Communist raised women. They fill their heads with crap. Probably even worse than Christian fundamentalists.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 am

Back in freedom land! China was pretty awesome, but I'm not itching to go back to the mainland anytime soon.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Osiris wrote:Back in freedom land! China was pretty awesome, but I'm not itching to go back to the mainland anytime soon.

Welcome back to the USA! :-) Pretty interesting reading about your adventures. Thanks.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe