A Year in Taian, China

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: A Year in Taian, China

Postby vagabond » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:32 pm

I don't really get anything from the insect eating. Shit gets stuck in your teeth and (at least from the variety I had in Thailand) it's not really the best 'snack' in the world.

As a Southerner, fried chicken (not really KFC but Bojangles in my locale) and watermelon were pretty much part and parcel of growing up. It's funny all the racist crap the white people say since they a) eat the same stuff and b) pretty much everything they value in Southern culture was adopted from the African slave culture (except for fucking bluegrass which can go to hell).

Per lychee nomenclature - that through me for a while too, just like when reading British recipes that called for 'courgettes' and having to look it up and see it's a zucchini. Fucking Normans.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 am

Ultra Swain wrote:Lived with a chinese girl for years, been there a couple times briefly, and both sucked. May I suggest the "when in Rome" technique"? Treat everyone like a dick, piss, shit, vomit, and spit EVERYPLACE but the toilet or proper receptacle and NEVER EVER let one of those fuckers push their way in front of you in a line.

I didn't understand this before I left, and now I'm reminded of this post every time I leave the house.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:15 am

Ultra Swain wrote: NEVER EVER let one of those fuckers push their way in front of you in a line.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Osiris wrote:
Ultra Swain wrote:Lived with a chinese girl for years, been there a couple times briefly, and both sucked. May I suggest the "when in Rome" technique"? Treat everyone like a dick, piss, shit, vomit, and spit EVERYPLACE but the toilet or proper receptacle and NEVER EVER let one of those fuckers push their way in front of you in a line.

I didn't understand this before I left, and now I'm reminded of this post every time I leave the house.

The man speaks truth.

Too bad it's typed from inside an insane asylum.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Best conversation ever.

Student: "‎Your ass are very big."
Me: "What?"
S: "Your ass are big!"
M: "What?!"
S: "Your ass. You know, one ahh, two ass." *points to face*
M: "Oh! My eyes! Yes, my eyes are big."
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 am

Alright, I'm headed back to the states pretty soon. Thanks for all the advice, anecdotes and messages concerning China!

I'll bring some baiju to the next BFC meet up.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 am

how bout you bring your new chinese bride instead
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Fansy wrote:how bout you bring your new chinese bride instead

I thought they came in the mail.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ktrout » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 am

Osiris wrote:I'll bring some baiju to the next BFC meet up.

Shudder. I had a bunch of government types invite me to their dinner table once in China. Got me good and liquored up on a few different varieties of their lacquer thinner.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:33 am

ktrout wrote:
Osiris wrote:I'll bring some baiju to the next BFC meet up.

Shudder. I had a bunch of government types invite me to their dinner table once in China. Got me good and liquored up on a few different varieties of their lacquer thinner.

I chugged a decent sized bottle on my birthday. Everyone asked I was gonna throw up, I was really just trying to hold back the tears, that shit destroyed my esophagus. I knew I had made a mistake when the Chinese guys started applauding.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:59 am

There's something called Maotai that's the worst. My ex's father in law drinks it. What do you think of China?
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:02 pm

There are days I love china, and days china drives me absolutely insane with rage. Definitely would not teach kids again unless I got much more money for it. The sheer number of people here makes my little Minnesotan head swirl, I do like cheap food though, so there's that.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:59 am

Osiris wrote:There are days I love china, and days china drives me absolutely insane with rage. Definitely would not teach kids again unless I got much more money for it. The sheer number of people here makes my little Minnesotan head swirl, I do like cheap food though, so there's that.

It is cheap there. That's the only redeeming factor for me. Otherwise it's sickening (sometimes literally), frightening, and a little maddening. I live in California where there are a lot of mainland Chinese. Sometimes I shake my head when I see how they do things.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 am

- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:09 am