A Year in Taian, China

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

A Year in Taian, China

Postby Osiris » Fri May 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Hey I just got offered a year long position in Taian China. Problem is, I've never actually been to China, much less packed up and moved there.
Anyone have any good advice for being there (besides not being a dick to everyone I meet)?
Is there any truth to the whole "people won't think you're American because you're black" thing?
Any must see places besides the Forbidden City and the wall?
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Re: A Year in Taian, China

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Lived with a chinese girl for years, been there a couple times briefly, and both sucked. May I suggest the "when in Rome" technique"? Treat everyone like a dick, piss, shit, vomit, and spit EVERYPLACE but the toilet or proper receptacle and NEVER EVER let one of those fuckers push their way in front of you in a line.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri May 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Dude, I swear you could have a shitter the size of Lake Michigan and in China that fucker would be so clean you eat out of it. But the 22 miles surrounding it would be worse than Chernobyl.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby coldharvest » Fri May 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Try the Chinese food.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby gnaruki » Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Figure out the minimum you need to bring with you. Simulate it by ignoring all the shit in your place besides all the stuff you can fit into two suitcases and carry-on baggage.

Doing this will make you realize what you don't need and what you would probably forget and have to pay up the ass to have someone ship it to you.

And buy an external hardrive and fill it with as much entertainment as possible for when you get culture sick and want to hide out for the day inside.

And remember to take up smoking menthol cigarettes and blowing snot rockets.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Michael » Fri May 25, 2012 11:55 pm

In Beijing a couple of months ago as a tourista. Don't know where Tian is. Enjoyed it immensely; figured living there if you had a job was doable (but then you could be treated differently when they know you're going to spend money then go home.) Have to agree with Swain on one thing, "NEVER EVER let one of those fuckers push their way in front of you in a line." As to the black thing...all I know is if you're blonde or black, people are going to want to take your picture...and they'll pick you out as an American in a minute. As to the must see stuff...that's like asking what's on the "must see" list for the USA, where does it start and where does it end. If you go, I think you'll have a pretty good time of it.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat May 26, 2012 1:25 am

coldharvest wrote:Try the Chinese food.

THIS. IS. AWESOME.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat May 26, 2012 1:27 am

gnaruki wrote:
And buy an external hardrive and fill it with as much entertainment as possible for when you get culture sick and want to hide out for the day inside.

Great tip.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat May 26, 2012 1:40 am

Is it a teaching job, Osiris? If it's a housing plus a living stipend offer you will most likely be living a very comfortable life.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 am

I cracked up at the Chinese food one. Yes it is a teaching spot with a paid for apartment and I'll be making more than I make now teaching in the US. I'll respond more tomorrow when I'm at a computer and not on a phone.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Sat May 26, 2012 7:10 am

Osiris wrote:I cracked up at the Chinese food one. Yes it is a teaching spot with a paid for apartment and I'll be making more than I make now teaching in the US. I'll respond more tomorrow when I'm at a computer and not on a phone.

That sounds like a decent gig, you will have to pardon me, I am suffering from Asia Burnout Syndrome.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Osiris » Sat May 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Okay, explain the line budging thing to me, I'm confused. Also, what's the deal with the spitting and snot rockets? I have zero experience in this part of the world.

The hard drive thing sounds like a must.

And Swain, wtf man I was counting on your clever wit to help me out here.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat May 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Chinese often treat their sidewalks and streets like sewers for bodily fluids.

I don't know how much assistance you are getting with settling in but this should help you: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

UPON ARRIVAL: Once you are in China, the PRC expects you to comply with the requirements of your visa. For example, if you are on a tourist visa, you are not allowed to work; if you are on a work visa, you typically cannot become a full-time student. It is difficult to change or renew your visa within China. Visitors cannot change tourist (L) and exchange (F) visas to other visa types. Entry and exit requirements are strictly enforced. Police, school administrators, airline and train officials, and hotel staff may check your visa to make sure you have not overstayed. You will typically not be allowed to check into a hotel or travel by plane or on some trains if your visa has expired, and you may be taken into custody. If you intentionally or inadvertently violate the terms of your Chinese visa, including staying after your visa has expired, you may be charged a RMB 500 fine per day up to a maximum of RMB 5,000, experience departure delays, and face possible detention.

Whether you are traveling to or living in China, you must register with the police within 24 hours of your arrival in the country. Even foreigners with residence permits are required to register after each re-entry. If you are staying in a hotel, the staff will automaticallyregister you. However, if you are staying in a private home with family or friends, you should take your passport to the local police station to register. Failure to do so could result in fines and detention. Chinese law requires that you carry a valid U.S. passport and Chinese visa or residence permit at all times. If you are visiting China, you should carry your passport with you, out of reach of pickpockets. If you live in China and have a residence permit, you should carry that document and leave your passport in a secure location, except when traveling.

Some parts of China are off limits or accessible only if you travel with an organized tour. You should always use common sense and avoid unlawful entry to sensitive areas, including military zones or bases and places where there is current civil unrest. If problems arise, the U.S. Embassy has limited ability to provide assistance. The Chinese government will not usually authorize the travel of U.S. government personnel to Tibet or areas where there is civil unrest, even to provide consular assistance to U.S. citizens.

Avoiding talking politics and government (yours and theirs). You can get away with it as a tourist but potentially your work visa can get pulled. I don't know shit about Taian (besides looking it up on a map). The climate is probably similar to the Northern Midwest.

You will probably be viewed as exotic there so expect a lot of questions and people buddying up to you. You'll probably get stopped on occasion so people can get a picture with an American that isn't white or asian.

There might not be many signs in english or the roman alphabet for that matter and that ones that will be in english will probably read like poetry by an autistic kid.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Sun May 27, 2012 6:34 am

watch out for chinese firedrills and especially their arithmetic.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 am

gnaruki wrote:Chinese often treat their sidewalks and streets like sewers for bodily fluids.

I don't know how much assistance you are getting with settling in but this should help you: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

UPON ARRIVAL: Once you are in China, the PRC expects you to comply with the requirements of your visa. For example, if you are on a tourist visa, you are not allowed to work; if you are on a work visa, you typically cannot become a full-time student. It is difficult to change or renew your visa within China. Visitors cannot change tourist (L) and exchange (F) visas to other visa types. Entry and exit requirements are strictly enforced. Police, school administrators, airline and train officials, and hotel staff may check your visa to make sure you have not overstayed. You will typically not be allowed to check into a hotel or travel by plane or on some trains if your visa has expired, and you may be taken into custody. If you intentionally or inadvertently violate the terms of your Chinese visa, including staying after your visa has expired, you may be charged a RMB 500 fine per day up to a maximum of RMB 5,000, experience departure delays, and face possible detention.

Whether you are traveling to or living in China, you must register with the police within 24 hours of your arrival in the country. Even foreigners with residence permits are required to register after each re-entry. If you are staying in a hotel, the staff will automaticallyregister you. However, if you are staying in a private home with family or friends, you should take your passport to the local police station to register. Failure to do so could result in fines and detention. Chinese law requires that you carry a valid U.S. passport and Chinese visa or residence permit at all times. If you are visiting China, you should carry your passport with you, out of reach of pickpockets. If you live in China and have a residence permit, you should carry that document and leave your passport in a secure location, except when traveling.

Some parts of China are off limits or accessible only if you travel with an organized tour. You should always use common sense and avoid unlawful entry to sensitive areas, including military zones or bases and places where there is current civil unrest. If problems arise, the U.S. Embassy has limited ability to provide assistance. The Chinese government will not usually authorize the travel of U.S. government personnel to Tibet or areas where there is civil unrest, even to provide consular assistance to U.S. citizens.

Avoiding talking politics and government (yours and theirs). You can get away with it as a tourist but potentially your work visa can get pulled. I don't know shit about Taian (besides looking it up on a map). The climate is probably similar to the Northern Midwest.

You will probably be viewed as exotic there so expect a lot of questions and people buddying up to you. You'll probably get stopped on occasion so people can get a picture with an American that isn't white or asian.

There might not be many signs in english or the roman alphabet for that matter and that ones that will be in english will probably read like poetry by an autistic kid.

So... this. Image
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe