Belize City

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Belize City

Postby WanderingCelt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Belize City, famous for corruption, used to be quite the hangout for Mercenaries and self-styled Soldiers of Fortune. Anyone know where they hang out these days? I'm a freelance
journalist working on a story related to the Belize/Guatemala situation that flares up now and again, and need some insightful contacts...
WanderingCelt

Re: Belize City

Postby Dr. V » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 pm

I used to work in a circus in the city back in my younger wilder days, does that help?

oh wait maybe it was Guatemala City........one tent full of dolphins, traipse artists and lions is the same as the next after a while.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Seriously?

Fly to Belize City and go to some place like the Riverside Tavern and you make your own contacts.
I mean really, you want to be a journalist and you haven't figured out how to go somewhere and talk to people about stuff?
....never mind the fact that you are a fuckin' stranger and why would anybody pass on a solid contact to someone who could be a serial bed-wetter or monkey-groomer at the Vatican?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby WanderingCelt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Coldharvest: of course I know HOW to get things done. I merely was trying to get ahead on legwork...Can't blame me for that.

Cheers mate.

W
WanderingCelt

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Didn't the Celts kill their ancient chieftains then try to predic tthe future by interpreting the pattern of the blood on the knife?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby WanderingCelt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:33 pm

I think you're confused ReptilianKittenEater. We would never do anything so savage and uncivilized. We would merely disembowel sacrificial victims, usually prisoners of war, and
then divine the future based on the position of their entrails upon the ground.
WanderingCelt

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:34 am

WanderingCelt wrote:I think you're confused ReptilianKittenEater. We would never do anything so savage and uncivilized. We would merely disembowel sacrificial victims, usually prisoners of war, and
then divine the future based on the position of their entrails upon the ground.

reduce, reuse, recycle....ahead of the curve those Celts.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 pm

No I was distracted by trying to picture vlindsay in a circus costume. The only one interested in reading my entrails at the family farm in Ireland was the resident bull.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby WanderingCelt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:32 pm

While we're seriously getting off topic here, always nice to meet a fellow Celt of the Irish variety. May I ask in what County is your family farm? My family comes from Stab City.
WanderingCelt

Postby vagabond » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:59 pm

vlindsay wrote:I used to work in a circus in the city back in my younger wilder days, does that help?

oh wait maybe it was Guatemala City........one tent full of dolphins, traipse artists and lions is the same as the next after a while.

I think this would make a more interesting piece than old, fat mercs.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm

WanderingCelt wrote:While we're seriously getting off topic here, always nice to meet a fellow Celt of the Irish variety. May I ask in what County is your family farm? My family comes from Stab City.

3 miles outside of Kiltimagh in Mayo. Not quite the same as they have running water and electricity there now. All I have seen of Limerick is from the window of a bus sadly.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby WanderingCelt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:53 am

Two words: poitin hangover. otherwise known as death incarnate.
WanderingCelt

Postby Dr. V » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:45 pm

vagabond wrote:
vlindsay wrote:I used to work in a circus in the city back in my younger wilder days, does that help?

I think this would make a more interesting piece than old, fat mercs.

In my BFC youth (2006) I posted about my travels with the New York Circus http://www.cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20114&hilit=circus. The circus still exists - although based in Mexico it travels - at one point it was doing a stint in down town New York somewhere near Kurt.

I have the photos somewhere..............
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby AztecDave » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 am

i thought this post was about Belize City? was there 20 yrs ago on a 10 trip for exploring and diving. found a couple of low life dives with the right atmosphere, but i think that's all passed. btw: "dogs of war" was filmed in belize. not a bad flick but a little corny & dated now. chris walken playing chris walken from the deer hunter. watch for ed o'neil (al bundy) as the mercenary/car mechanic who doesn't make the trip.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe