Philippine censhorship

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Philippine censhorship

Postby Athena » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 am

Oddly enough, given that the Philippines theoretically doesn't have Internet censorship, I can't get to Pandora and some favorite movie streaming services. Even an utterance of the word "God" is a problem in entertainment, the prohibitions are so extreme. An IP anonymizer seems to be worth a shot. Anybody have experience or know if there are countries that make their use unlawful?

Seems the Vatican is the only country with more Catholic restrictions. I'd read about the chilling and pervasive influence of the church here, but did not appreciate how it would impact daily life. I suppose this means I need to head to Singapore to buy unedited PG-13 DVDs and prescription contraceptives.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Re: Philippine censhorship

Postby shivers » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:41 am

Dunno about the other stuff, but Pandora is only available in the USA.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Athena » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:05 am

Thanks Shivers. I was, perhaps, feeling a tad judgemental about the local culture after reading in a Philippine version of a triathlon magazine how weak and fragile women are, and being told by our facilitator that it's easiest to go to Singapore for my contraceptives. Perhaps the content editing on HBO and other channels is unrelated to The Church. Perhap sInternet access issues are purely commercial. I nonetheless see a melt down worthy of Sinead regarding the Pope in my future.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:09 am

Athena wrote: I nonetheless see a melt down worthy of Sinead regarding the Pope in my future.

....just don't get any tattoos you'll regret.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Osiris » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 am

Some services are only available in the US. Just get a proxy and save yourself some frustration.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Athena wrote:Oddly enough, given that the Philippines theoretically doesn't have Internet censorship, I can't get to Pandora and some favorite movie streaming services. Even an utterance of the word "God" is a problem in entertainment, the prohibitions are so extreme. An IP anonymizer seems to be worth a shot. Anybody have experience or know if there are countries that make their use unlawful?

Seems the Vatican is the only country with more Catholic restrictions. I'd read about the chilling and pervasive influence of the church here, but did not appreciate how it would impact daily life. I suppose this means I need to head to Singapore to buy unedited PG-13 DVDs and prescription contraceptives.

Those site don't have international broadcast rights to the material they host on their services. Get a proxy server and go to town.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby JITW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:42 am

Just Google "ip spoofer" and you can use Pandora anywhere

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby St John Smythe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Philippine censhorship

Harrumph! One wishes they censored bad spelling.
St John Smythe
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe