Going to Hospital in Thailand

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Going to Hospital in Thailand

Postby stealth1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 am

My kid's in the hospital now and it got me thinking about Thai hospitals. They're generally pretty good but you need to be vigilant when dealing with the doctors, nurses and admin.

http://bit.ly/V6QLdP
stealth1

Re: Going to Hospital in Thailand

Postby coldharvest » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 am

stealth1 wrote: but you need to be vigilant when dealing with anyone

fixed
I hope your child gets better soon.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Thai hospitals in the big cities are great. But out where I lived in remote areas they were worse than Mogadishu. In BKK or Chiang Mai ANY public hospital will give you excellent care at a way cheaper price than the fancy hospitals that cater to foreigners and most doctors speak good english. The roadside clinics are always a crap shoot.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby stealth1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:23 pm

coldharvest wrote:
stealth1 wrote: but you need to be vigilant when dealing with anyone

fixed
I hope your child gets better soon.

Thanks - he got out of hospital yesterday and is doing better.

Ultra Swain wrote:Thai hospitals in the big cities are great. But out where I lived in remote areas they were worse than Mogadishu. In BKK or Chiang Mai ANY public hospital will give you excellent care at a way cheaper price than the fancy hospitals that cater to foreigners and most doctors speak good english. The roadside clinics are always a crap shoot.

The hospitals in the upcountry aren't good for much other than doling out medicine for a cold. You can get it over the counter so it doesn't really make sense to go to a clinic there.

Even though my kids are Thai citizens AND US citizens, the hospitals always try to ding me for the foreigner price. I get around it by telling them that they are Thai and if they don't give me the Thai price, I'll go to another hospital.

The bill for my son was 24,000 baht ($800) for 2 1/2 days in the hospital, in his own room. That's pretty good speaking comparatively, however, ten years ago it cost me 15,000 baht (at the time, $350) for 3 days in my own room. The day will come when the Thais have raised their prices to the point where people don't want to come because it's not much cheaper than back home.
stealth1

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Chiang Mai hospitals are very efficient...almost pleasant.
Sri Lanky

Postby stealth1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 am

I had a bad accident about 10 years ago and spent two weeks in the ICU at Ramkhamhaeng Hospital. I was in a coma for four days.

They had me stay another week in a room before they let me out.

Ramkhamhaeng is okay, but I really despise going to the hospital for anything now.
stealth1

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Chiang Mai hospitals are very efficient...almost pleasant.

Was the Fireman burnin?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Ouch
Sri Lanky

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:10 pm

This thread is bringing back memories of when I ate it on the motorbike in Thailand about a year ago. After Swain administered first aid, I decided to go by the hospital to get antibiotics just to be safe but they didn't want to give them to me. They dressed the wounds and smiled and laughed at me as always. After a few days, my ankle swelled up and I went back and demanded antibiotics. The doctor reluctantly agreed. But First they wanted to redress the wounds, which involved peeling off the scab with tweezers. That hurt like fire. On the table next to me was some poor bastard who looked like he'd had severe head trauma. No curtain. Anyway, the whole ordeal cost me about twelve bucks. The cracked cowl on the motorbike was slightly more.

I visited a hospital in Bangkok with a sick friend and it was as luxurious and modern as any hospital I've seen save MD Anderson.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:This thread is bringing back memories of when I ate it on the motorbike in Thailand about a year ago.

Who was the lucky gal?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:11 am

There's two that I can think of.

; )
Sri Lanky

Return to Black Flag Cafe