Benin/Togo

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Benin/Togo

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Anyone been there? The voodoo thing looks very interesting.

It seems there's less of a hassle getting a visa than Nigeria or Ghana. Why is it such a pain in the ass getting one for most African countries?
Sri Lanky

Re: Benin/Togo

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Anyone been there? The voodoo thing looks very interesting.

It seems there's less of a hassle getting a visa than Nigeria or Ghana. Why is it such a pain in the ass getting one for most African countries?

Nigerian officials actually bragged about denying a visa to Bill Gates years ago after a columnist in a Nigerian newspaper wrote about how Bill Gates does not close down roads in Seattle when he drives to work and is worth much more than rich Nigerians who do the same thing there. Basically he was praising the humbleness of Gates and claiming humbleness of the rich makes more people prosperous.

So the Nigerian rich didn't like that so they banned Gates from entering.

Same with the rest of the West but on a small scale. They could become more prosperous if they made visas easy and cheap but then they would not have that petty authority and they also would not have that revenue going directly to the people who are in charge of Visas. Its like if you and I have a chance to either split $100 between us by giving someone a parking ticket or give our hypothetical city $1million in benefits by granting free parking but you and I are out $50 each and out of a job enforcing a debilitating policy.

That is African visas.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Sounds like racism is a factor too. West = White...to them.
Sri Lanky

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:09 am

I never had a problem in Africa but I have never been to Nigeria. I was looking into it a few months ago and it looks like a bitch to get one.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Don't mean to sound like a dick bringing up the racism thing but I lived with a black woman for 8 years and I know that racism operates up,down,and all around.

Anyways,is there any sub-Saharan African country save maybe S. Africa where you can just show up and get a visa?
Sri Lanky

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:46 pm

Malawi and Zambia aswell as Swaziland were free at the border when I went. So was RSA.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby jphripjah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:28 pm

I did the Accra-Lome-Cotonou-Lagos road trip about 4 years ago. You could get a 7 day togo visa at the border with Ghana and then a 72 hour? Benin visa at the border with Togo.

Lome is interesting enough; crumbling colonial architecture and good nightlife. The "fetish market" on the outskirts of town is disappointing though. In my opinion, Togo may have the most beautiful women in the world. Really.

Cotonou has good nightlife as well, "New York New York" nightclub was good. All the white folks seemed to congregate at Livingstone's, which had good pub food.
jphripjah

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Can you show up at the airport in Lome and get a visa or do you need one prior? Africa is frustrating in itself...never mind the women.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 am

December is looking good for this. No interest in going to Islamic dominated countries in Africa. I can't think of anything more boring than Islam.

Anyways,it seems like it could be a good place to get away from the governmental,financial,corporate domination of the West...and you're not going to find that escape in Islamic nations because Islam is just another form of a dark cabal-like government.
Sri Lanky

Return to Black Flag Cafe