Angola (or somewhere in Africa)

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Angola (or somewhere in Africa)

Postby pax » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:52 am

Hey everyone,
I'm starting to do my homework on Angola and wanted to ask BFC for advice. I've never done Africa before so going to Angola would be new for me. I've done SE Asia and the Mid East (ten years ago) as far getting to a somewhat similar development level. I was thinking of taking a trip to see Jonas Savimbi's grave in Luena, Moxico Province. I was thinking of just doing the backpacker thing, and had I have a week or so. Aiming for sometime between May and October.

If this is a death wish, and I don't think it is, does anyone have other suggestions for destinations in Africa? I think it's time I make it there.

Thanks.
pax

Re: Angola (or somewhere in Africa)

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:29 am

Not a good place to start. Very expensive, and the only foreigners are oil people, so as a genuine tourist you'll only make the corrupt and paranoid officials more paranoid.

If you want Portuguese-speaking Africa, go to Sao Tome or Mozambique, both of which are lovely.

If you want something as developed as the Middle East or SE Asia, go to Kenya, Ghana, South Africa (unsafe), Namibia (fantastic but not cheap), Botswana or maybe Gambia. You won't get anywhere in a week except the outskirts of the capital, so you need to choose a tiny country or one with a particularly attractive capital.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 am

frica or anywhere else you have to take a longhaul flight to get to is a waste of money lmho. If you must then Buffys advice is spot on cept for the part about South Africa being dangerous. :)
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Rural South Africa is safe, but to get there you have to pass through a big town. Countless opportunities to get mugged just making your way from Jo'burg airport to the bus station :-)

Talking of attractive capitals and only one week of time, it just occurred to me that there is one spot where your inconvenient situation is actually a blessing. Asmara. Eritrea is not very developed, but Asmara is. It is one of the most delightful cities in Africa, totally safe, thus suitable for beginners. Eritrea being the North Korea of Africa, you're not allowed to leave the capital without permits. Flights to Asmara are not cheap, though, and it might be a hassle to get a visa.

If North Africa counts, you can do a one-week city trip to Cairo or maybe a Moroccan town and get stuffed with cultural (and all sorts of other) experiences cheaply and easily.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:47 am

With a week, do you want to blow a load of cash on a long flight and not be able to see much?

A couple of places to consider:

- Morocco - you'll find a ridiculous number of tourists in Marrakesh, but you an head out to less touristy places in the Atlas, Anti Atlas mountains or around Zagora
- Panama - I've not been but have heard good things about it. It is compact to get around in a week and there are good nature preserves.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby pax » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:32 am

Everyone, thanks for all of your input.

Well, I didn't want to go to North Africa since I've already been to the Middle East (Arabia). I wanted somewhere non-Muslim in Africa. I want a new cultural experience.

I am not concerned about spending the money on the plane ticket cause I want to go to Africa, it's time, damn it! (but I get your point, of course on time, distance, and cost). My week time frame is merely an approximation.

It looks I just need to educate myself as to somewhere that might be of interest to me in Africa. I realize I am being vague here.
pax

Postby Dr. V » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:19 am

pax wrote:It looks I just need to educate myself as to somewhere that might be of interest to me in Africa. I realize I am being vague here.

I realise its a radical concept and never a very popular idea but you could try using the search engine.....
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby pax » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 am

manyasingh - Thanks for the suggestions. Africa is a vast place. Hard to know where to start. :-)
pax

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 am

pax wrote:manyasingh - Thanks for the suggestions. Africa is a vast place. Hard to know where to start. :-)

start at the top
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 am

I live and work in Angola. Have also just finished co-writing the second edition of the Bradt guidebook to the country. I intend to visit Luena this year at some stage (most likely October). As much as I love this place, I'd have to agree with buffybot_in_beirut's post. Angola is very expensive to get to and travel around and the visa paperwork to get in is a nightmare. I guess it depends how serious you are about visiting Savimbi's grave. There's a load of great stuff to see if you're into the civil war though. The south of the country is littered with tanks wrecks etc. I already posted this link somewhere else on the forum, but take a look at the images:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... b21cf13723

I'd be happy to help you out with the logistics of putting a trip like this together, but you need to be realistic about how much this will cost. Getting a flight in from Europe is almost always over $1200, and from the USA even more. There's a great company here called EcoTur run by Paul Wesson who would be able to put a custom trip together. His website is: http://www.eco-tur.com/
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm

coldharvest wrote:
pax wrote:manyasingh - Thanks for the suggestions. Africa is a vast place. Hard to know where to start. :-)

start at the top

In Africa you often end up at the bottom so that makes sense.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby pax » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:17 am

Ozy, thanks for those details. I didn't look into the visa, but I did with the plane ticket. Money is always an issue but I am willing to spend a decent amount to make this trip if it is worth my while. I'll check out the visa situation next.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.
pax

Postby Advtraveler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:43 am

Having been to every county South of DRC, I would echo the sentiments above.

Angola is expensive and you will be totally out of your element trying to camp it considering your travel history.

If you are set on visiting somewhere in the region, every other place will be cheaper and logistically easier. You should just go to Victoria Falls to get your feet wet and explore a bit of Zim while there.
Advtraveler
mach

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:47 pm

buffybot_in_beirut wrote:Not a good place to start. Very expensive, and the only foreigners are oil people, so as a genuine tourist you'll only make the corrupt and paranoid officials more paranoid.

If you want Portuguese-speaking Africa, go to Sao Tome or Mozambique, both of which are lovely.

If you want something as developed as the Middle East or SE Asia, go to Kenya, Ghana, South Africa (unsafe), Namibia (fantastic but not cheap), Botswana or maybe Gambia. You won't get anywhere in a week except the outskirts of the capital, so you need to choose a tiny country or one with a particularly attractive capital.

Just to revisit this topic, I have just come back from Sao Tome and agree with buffybot_in_beirut. Excellent location, remote, very few tourists. One of the easier parts of Portuguese Africa. Photos below:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 855c5bb34c

On the other hand, things are getting cheaper in terms of flights into and out of Angola. I just bought a one way ticket from Angola to London with Royal Air Maroc for $240! This doesn't seem to be a one-off. If you search on their site, it's very cheap if you book in advance. Get yourself down here for June and you might catch our second surf trip down in Namibe province:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... f81b714ec0
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:34 am

Great pics! I've heard of that volcanic peak in Sao Tome and it looks amazing.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe