Ukraine

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Ukraine

Postby vagabond » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 pm

gnaruki wrote:Something to think about. I'm either going to do a loop through western ukraine ending up in krakow or just start meandering west then backtrack to krakow.

Haven't been to these places but last time I was in E. Europe and researching places to go, I read about Ivano-Frankivsk and Chernivtsi as neat places to go. Not as far south as Crimea but close to the Romanian border so a bit of a swing south from Lviv. Probably possible to get to Kosice, Slovakia from there, which I've heard good things about in terms of access to good hiking. I would also assume the train from Kosice to Krakow would be shorter.

You only have two weeks though so, given what I've heard about train travel in Ukraine, might be best just to spend it in Kiev, Lviv, and Krakow. There's more than enough to keep you busy in those three places. Also, if you're into chicks, Polish and Ukrainian ones are pretty hot so that could keep you busy too.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:46 pm

In Kiev I went to a monastery that was partially rebuilt after WWII and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but I don't know what else there is to see there.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 pm

vagabond wrote:
gnaruki wrote:Something to think about. I'm either going to do a loop through western ukraine ending up in krakow or just start meandering west then backtrack to krakow.

Haven't been to these places but last time I was in E. Europe and researching places to go, I read about Ivano-Frankivsk and Chernivtsi as neat places to go. Not as far south as Crimea but close to the Romanian border so a bit of a swing south from Lviv. Probably possible to get to Kosice, Slovakia from there, which I've heard good things about in terms of access to good hiking. I would also assume the train from Kosice to Krakow would be shorter.

You only have two weeks though so, given what I've heard about train travel in Ukraine, might be best just to spend it in Kiev, Lviv, and Krakow. There's more than enough to keep you busy in those three places. Also, if you're into chicks, Polish and Ukrainian ones are pretty hot so that could keep you busy too.

I was thinking about Ivano-Frankivsk and Chernivtsi. I'll probably blow off Kiev and go there. The travel times In Ukraine are slow and long so I'll probably stay in the far West. I'll either hop over to Slovakia or CzechR for a bit before spending my last few days in Krakow.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:43 pm

gnaruki wrote:
vagabond wrote:

I was thinking about Ivano-Frankivsk and Chernivtsi. I'll probably blow off Kiev and go there. The travel times In Ukraine are slow and long so I'll probably stay in the far West. I'll either hop over to Slovakia or CzechR for a bit before spending my last few days in Krakow.

Do us a favour, don't bother telling us about it will ya? Nothing personal, but what you write is immensely boring, I see your nickname and my eyes glaze over. It took me 3 days to summon up the energy to click on this thread when I saw your name. Just friendly advice from an unknown person with no axe to grind, for all I know you're a real blast.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey,at least the guy is travelling.
Continue to write about it,gnaruki.
I have some family roots there and I take interest.

(giving nowonmai an immense raspberry in my mind)
Sri Lanky

Postby nowonmai » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Hey,at least the guy is travelling.
Continue to write about it,gnaruki.
I have some family roots there and I take interest.

(giving nowonmai an immense raspberry in my mind)

Old man who blow intense raspberry better wear two pant.

You're a better man than me Gunga Din, Gnaruki could put a tsetse fly to sleep at 100 yards.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:36 am

Whatever, no offense taken. I'm not going to argue over the boring content I slop together.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:45 am

gnaruki wrote:Whatever, no offense taken. I'm not going to argue over the boring content I slop together.

Yeah, you get what you pay for.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm

gnaruki wrote:Whatever, no offense taken. I'm not going to argue over the boring content I slop together.

To clarify - I was taking the piss and didn't actually mean it. Probably called malicious bullying cyberstalking trolling these days and carries a mandatory life sentence as it infringes your human rights.

Except about Gunga Din Lanky, I really did hear that he has a habit of sharting when he laughs.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

Well if I end up writing anything post trip I'll try to avoid writing about the varying consistencies of pierogi dough.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:21 am

If it's not about pussy...then it better be about perogies.
Sri Lanky

Postby nowonmai » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 am

Pierogi and pussy are indivisibly linked in my mind anyway. Good times.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:01 am

nowonmai wrote:Pierogi and pussy are indivisibly linked in my mind anyway. Good times.

both are good with vodka or for hangovers from vodka and vodka-related activities. vodka.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 am

Almost kinda sorta back on topic, UNESCO World Heritage Site Google Maps mashup.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Freyja » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 pm

gnaruki wrote:Well if I end up writing anything post trip I'll try to avoid writing about the varying consistencies of pierogi dough.

My friend Abby went to the Czech Republic and got very sick from something she ate...

Probably not from pierogis, though.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Freyja

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe