Venezuela

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Venezuela

Postby Freyja » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Hello,

I was wondering of any of you had any personal travel stories about Venezuela. I was assigned to do a brochure for my Spanish 1 class, and try to make Caracas seem like a "wonderful" place to live.

Thanks
Ain't nobody got time for that
Freyja

Re: Venezuela

Postby Royal » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Freyja wrote:Hello,

I was wondering of any of you had any personal travel stories about Venezuela. I was assigned to do a brochure for my Spanish 1 class, and try to make Caracas seem like a "wonderful" place to live.

Thanks

Hookers hanging around at CCS Airport:
Take it from there......
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby St John Smythe » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Gosh! That's a jolly difficult assignment for a young lady. One would hope that a teacher could find somewhere a little less challenging. One doubts if the denizens of the blaggardly Black Flag could make it look appealing, especially given the crime rate.

Busman's holidays for policemen, per chance?
St John Smythe
BFCus Regularus

Postby Freyja » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:19 pm

My Spanish teacher knows me all to well XD
All the other girls got places like "Spain" and "Argentina"

We once had a class assignment one time about central America, and each person had to make a powerpoint about a certain aspect of life there. He assigned me "Crime".
Freyja

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 am

Royal wrote:

Thanks

Take it from there......

I overnighted at Caracas airport once. Upon my arrival the bả closed. Everytime I went out for a smoke I was accosted by đodgy dudes who wanted to bring me to the nudy bảr.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby nowonmai » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
Royal wrote:

Thanks

Take it from there......

I overnighted at Caracas airport once. Upon my arrival the bả closed. Everytime I went out for a smoke I was accosted by đodgy dudes who wanted to bring me to the nudy bảr.

You say that like it's a problem.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 am

Thanks

Find some facts on LP (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/venezuela) or Wikipedia that sound interesting and translate. It's Spanish I. It's not going to be Don Quixote.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby elba » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Check out El sistema.
elba

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I was in Venezuela last year - not Caracas, but Maracaibo (a big city, oil port, and all-around hole) and Merida (an adorable little university town in the mountains at the epicenter of all things ecotourismy and crafty, complete with hot springs, parasailing, Andean villages, Amazon tours). I couldn't tell you how to make Maracaibo (or Caracas, from what I've heard) seem like a "wonderful" place to live, but Merida was a fine little paradise, I could be happy there for sure.

One thing worth mentioning, if you just need to fill up space, is that the 15¢ per gallon gasoline means that Venezuela has become a haven for both newer, gas-guzzling SUVs and all-terrain vehicles, as well as Detroit beauties from the 1970s and 1980s, kept in immaculate condition by the ten gazillion body shops that often seemed like the only thriving roadside businesses in the country. Lincoln Continentals, Cadillacs, Rivieras, Malibus - if it weighed 5000lbs and got 8 miles to the gallon, and was all the rage on the cruise back when Journey was popular in a non-ironic way, it's been rehabilitated, repainted, and re-chromed and is on the road in Venezuela. It was like being at a lowrider show every single day.... loved it. Visitors to Venezuela focus too much on the crime and wonky exchange rates (it was 3 bolívars to the dollar officially, but about 8:1 on the black market due to regulations restricting currency exchange), and miss the really important stuff.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby rdkll » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 pm

elba wrote:Check out El sistema.

nowadays one will only find one token poor kid per orchestra, since the middle class has discovered that a free education in classic music is pretty cool. and my friends who worked for el sistema tell me that dudamel^s a twat (tr.?)

however , the (free) concert in dec 2009 in mérida was a riot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY77tqawSns
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby Freyja » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks guys! I used some of your info in my brochure. My teacher said it was "original", and I got a 98 :)
Freyja

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Freyja wrote:Thanks guys! I used some of your info in my brochure. My teacher said it was "original", and I got a 98 :)

What? And you didn't even visit?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
Freyja wrote:Thanks guys! I used some of your info in my brochure. My teacher said it was "original", and I got a 98 :)

What? And you didn't even visit?

As you well know, here at the Flag you do not have to go somewhere to have an opinion.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby elba » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

rdkll wrote:
elba wrote:Check out El sistema.

nowadays one will only find one token poor kid per orchestra, since the middle class has discovered that a free education in classic music is pretty cool

Disappoinying
elba

Return to Black Flag Cafe