Should I Be Afraid?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Should I Be Afraid?

Postby Freyja » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:45 pm

So, my dad is going on a week long business trip to Bogota. I've never actually been there myself, so could y'all tell me what it is really like down there? All I''m getting off the internet is how wonderful it is, but I know that's not true.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Freyja

Re: Should I Be Afraid?

Postby nowonmai » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 pm

You can get yourself in trouble anywhere if you look hard enough. Bogota doesn't stand out as a particularly worrying place, all depends what his business is.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 am

Freyja wrote:but I know that's not true.

That alone means whatever happens he's raised you right.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm

I like Bogota but it does have a staggering crime rate and it is a city that is less forgiving of mistakes and stupidity than others. But I found it to me much less criminaly inclined that Quito. Bogota is just starting to become a tourist destination again and Quito always has been, so you realize that touristy places cover up their crime a bit while non touristy places winding down a civil war tend to be more honest.

Pay for your own drinks, and don't drink anything that someone sets down in front of you. Avoid the slums, in Haitian slums there was curiosity that sometimes turned bad, but in Bogota slums there was immediate hostility and aggression.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby elba » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 pm

People go to Colombia for their honeymoon. Says it all. Be not afeared.
elba

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 pm

"immediate hostility and aggression"

That was Kingston,JA...I'll never forget that place.
Sri Lanky

Postby Freyja » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 am

He's back, safely
Ain't nobody got time for that
Freyja

Postby stealth1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:32 am

Never been to Bogota but I've been to Medellin. Wouldn't worry one bit unless your Dad is the type to go around starting trouble.

http://bit.ly/Xprn6o
stealth1

Postby Advtraveler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:30 am

Bogota is perfectly fine to travel to. It's a plain vanilla trip if you choose to make it such.

I would estimate that 15% of Bogota is perfectly nice and very safe. It's just like the USA, except that they speak Spanish. Not much difference between US Benetton vs Bogota Benetton stores.

Then you have 85% sketchy Bogota, and about 25% is legitimate ghetto where you really need to watch your back.

Unfortunately, if you like to explore, you probably will not be happy with staying in the 15% section. And you might end up being chased down by 4 dudes with knives like myself. Even the hostels in Bogota have double entry doors and security cameras, which should give you an idea of how sketchy it can be. And while I was there, despite these security measures one of the hostels was literally invaded by criminals and everyone who was inside at the time was robbed.

The big problem I have with Bogota is that the exchange rate is not what it used to be. Your money will not go that far there. Accommodations are overpriced. It's a city of 8 million with amenities of 100,000 city. PIA to get anything done. For me, it's just not interesting enough to be worth it. I might skip down there again for a few months of intensive Spanish lessons, but I wouldn't call this city as much of a draw.
Advtraveler
mach

Postby stealth1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:47 am

Need to get my ass back to Colombia, I liked the place. And I loved the coffee.
stealth1

Postby Woodsman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am

Sri Lanky wrote:"immediate hostility and aggression"

That was Kingston,JA...I'll never forget that place.

Jamaicans are extremely aggressive when it comes to hustling tourists. Most aggressive people I've ever witnessed, but not nearly as hostile as others.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe