Bhutan

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bhutan

Postby Athena » Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 am

Has anyone been? Any advice? I just booked my air and so far just think I will get off the plane and rent a bike.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Re: Bhutan

Postby Weez » Fri May 03, 2013 4:03 am

I've never been, but it's real high on the list. Let us know how it goes. Did you get a visa? Do you have to pay the tourist fees in advance?
Weez

Postby Athena » Fri May 03, 2013 4:36 am

I am working with a tour operator, and they submit the visa application once I have myself sorted out. My goal is to explore so that I can put together a well edited future trip for my guy to come along. The price seems to be $290 per day, no matter what I want to do. It looks like I pay up front.

Mostly what I want to do is walk around and bike ride place to place, so it seems a little pricey. I still can't figure out if my requisite assigned guide has to stick with me. If so, then the price is actually a bargain.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm

My limited understanding is that they are very restrictive about travel outside of the cities because they are pretty fanatical about preserving their culture. Wanted to go for years and years but its just too damn expensive. Its up there on my list if I ever win the lottery, along with Iran and Socotra Island....
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Woodsman » Sat May 18, 2013 3:22 am

I'd go in a heartbeat. Sounds damned like a utopian state to me.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Athena » Thu May 23, 2013 12:42 am

I am killing time at the gate for my flight. It is disconcerting that we who are continuing to Bhutan are held apart from those who are not. I am sceptical now, that this is going to feel like viewing zoo animals.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe