Tangier

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Tangier

Postby AztecDave » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Looking for a place in Morocco next Spring. Any been to Tangier? Worth the trip?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: Tangier

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21 am

AztecDave wrote:Looking for a place in Morocco next Spring. Any been to Tangier? Worth the trip?

I went 20 years aago and the place was a right shitpit. My first 3rd world country experience.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby AztecDave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:33 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
AztecDave wrote:Looking for a place in Morocco next Spring. Any been to Tangier? Worth the trip?

I went 20 years aago and the place was a right shitpit. My first 3rd world country experience.

that seems to be the norm for every place in Africa I've been. anything worth seeing there?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 am

AztecDave wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:

that seems to be the norm for every place in Africa I've been. anything worth seeing there?

Not that I remember. There is a medina and they do , or did get lots of Spanish tourists in summer. I used the place as a jump off point for Marakesh.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:03 am

If you go, check out a nice beach town not too far away called Asilah. I stayed there instead of Tangier and it was a nice little place to chill. I think there's a few other little spots along the Atlantic coast like it. Tangier is pretty famous among hippies for Burroughs and his clique that was there back in the day.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby cochiseintheeast » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:

There are shitpits and then there are shitpits. We need a shitpit rating system.
cochiseintheeast
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:15 am

cochiseintheeast wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:

There are shitpits and then there are shitpits. We need a shitpit rating system.

Scale of 1 - 5 turds?

rick - enjoying the new avatar
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 am

In Morocco I would recommend Marakech for the food and atmosphere, Ouarzazette if you like the desert and want to do the whole Sahara tourist thing (which, while aimed at tourists, is still a good value and actually one of the cooler things I did while in country), Western Sahara is cool but gets dicey when you get towards the borders with Mali or Mauritania. Skip Tangiers and Casablanca is only worth a day or two at best. Any of the little towns in the Atlas Mountains are cool - for a lot of fun take a share taxi from Marakech to Ouarzazette instead of the bus - also one of the cooler experiences I had there.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:39 am

Marrakesh is cool but tons of tourists, the nearby montians are worth seeing and good for trekking. Zagora (about 4 hours past Ouzarzate) is a boring place but surrounding by brilliant landscapes, ancient towns, palm trees, kasbahs and lots of sand and cliffs. Essouria is ok too. Casablanca is basically a dirty city though the art deco architeture around the main square is neat.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe