Ganzhou, Guangzhou and Xi'an

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Ganzhou, Guangzhou and Xi'an

Postby Duende » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 am

Any cool shit to see/do in these spots? Will be in each for 3-4 days, mostly for work but expect to have fair amount of free time and would like to see just as much pre-modern China as tall, shiny buildings. Never been anywhere near this part of the world so what am I in for?
Duende
BFCus Regularus

Re: Ganzhou, Guangzhou and Xi'an

Postby Osiris » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:26 am

You're in for a wild ride of crowds, bodily fluids flying any and everywhere, and KFC being more popular than McDonalds.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tacos » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm

go the meat market in Guangzou, that's an experience.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby Duende » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:18 am

Cheers,

Now in Guangzhou but have been in office all day and have seen little spitting. Heard loads of it though
Duende
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:36 am

Xi'An is an impressive former seat of the emperor, terracotta warriors and all that. If you haven't been to Asia before, prepare to be horrified.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 am

Lemme know when you get a case of China cough, or someone tells you to drink hot water.

Also, what are you doing there if you don't mind me asking?
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Duende » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Osiris,

I was over promoting the EB-5 Investor Visa program, making presentations and just generally being compelled to eat lots of unidentifiable food and get trashed on baiju. Pretty fun experience overall but I wasn't able to do too much sightseeing. I did really enjoy Xian, though - loads of great stuff to check out. I will get some pics up when I get a moment.
Duende
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:41 pm

Awesome! How the hell did you get a gig like that?!
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Duende » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:32 pm

I really just fell into it. after I got back from a couple years abroad I was looking for an immigration related gig and met a guy. definitely PM me if you want some more details - always looking to build up our network in China
Duende
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:31 am

Walk the ancient city walls in Xi'an, very impressive, as are the Drum and Bell Towers. But the chink brasses are a fucking pain in the hoop there, they try to physically drag you into the parlours, and most of them are minging. And no, I never dipped a brass the whole time I was in China, not my scene that

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:36 am

Oh, you've been already. Did you get a nosh off a toothless brass then?

Only messing, Xi'an is one of the few places outside of Xinjiang that I actually enjoyed visiting there. China is just too fucking weird, I'm glad I'll be dirt napping before these fuckers are top dogs in the world.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Duende » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Well impressed by Xian above all other places visited in China. City wall, Bell tower and terra cotta soldiers a must. Outstanding food up there, too. Had lunch in some dirty little hole in the muzzie quarter and enjoyed listening to locals mutter Arabic under their breath as me and my round-eye pal sat down to table.

China beats all went it comes to weird but no toothless knob-polishing I’m very happy to report.
Duende
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Duende wrote:I really just fell into it. after I got back from a couple years abroad I was looking for an immigration related gig and met a guy. definitely PM me if you want some more details - always looking to build up our network in China

Hook a brother up!
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe