Baja Moto'in

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Baja Moto'in

Postby gnaruki » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:01 am

I'm doing the length of it next year, all on-road or whatever passes for highways there. I've done other research but figured some of the people around here have done it.

What towns are worth stopping in? I'm planning on sticking to the interior of the peninsula.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Re: Baja Moto'in

Postby OneLungMcClung » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Baja is a good trip man. First: as for sticking to the interior of the peninsula, you'll go where highway 1 takes you, which means you see both coasts. It slips back and forth between the two. You can do it on smaller roads but not all of them are paved. (maybe now they are, but dirt roads happen down there) The Pacific is beautiful.

Tijuana just because, but you'll hate yourself. Watch your wallet. Get out of Zona Norte/La Coahuila, too many pinche Gringos.

Stop in Tecate for the brewery. Tecate, even though it has proximity to Tijuana and San Diego, is a different place. Pretty mountains. Call the brewery ahead of time - 011-52-6659490 to get a tour arranged. The beer is better - Tecate export is brewed in Monterrey; different water = different beer. I liked the Tecate down there better than the case packs I bought at Costco. Fresh and delicious.

I liked Ensenada. Lobster tacos.

Go to San Felipe. Vacation destination. All kinds of water sports (I don't mean the German kind) Awesome fish tacos.

Do you dive? If so, Gulfo de California offers some great diving. Come out of San Felipe/Delicias on the north end. Down further Go to Loreto.

Of course... Cabo. Cabo is amazing. Diving, surfing, food and weather. Yeah baby! There are little towns to poke around in down there like Todos Santos. Bring your belly, there are more restaurants than paved roads.

A buddy used to go to Cabo and Bahia Escorpion for surfing. If you surf this is a top tier destination.

Fish fish and fish man. Fish tacos, fish burritos, fried fish, fish stew... You'll wonder why you are heading back to Murica after about 2 weeks down there. I know I did.

Most of this was a long time ago but much of it hasn't changed. If I remember anything Ill repost.
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tacos » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:27 pm

OneLungMcClung wrote:Baja is a good trip man. First: as for sticking to the interior of the peninsula, you'll go where highway 1 takes you, which means you see both coasts. It slips back and forth between the two. You can do it on smaller roads but not all of them are paved. (maybe now they are, but dirt roads happen down there) The Pacific is beautiful.

Tijuana just because, but you'll hate yourself. Watch your wallet. Get out of Zona Norte/La Coahuila, too many pinche Gringos.

Stop in Tecate for the brewery. Tecate, even though it has proximity to Tijuana and San Diego, is a different place. Pretty mountains. Call the brewery ahead of time - 011-52-6659490 to get a tour arranged. The beer is better - Tecate export is brewed in Monterrey; different water = different beer. I liked the Tecate down there better than the case packs I bought at Costco. Fresh and delicious.

I liked Ensenada. Lobster tacos.

Go to San Felipe. Vacation destination. All kinds of water sports (I don't mean the German kind) Awesome fish tacos.

Do you dive? If so, Gulfo de California offers some great diving. Come out of San Felipe/Delicias on the north end. Down further Go to Loreto.

Of course... Cabo. Cabo is amazing. Diving, surfing, food and weather. Yeah baby! There are little towns to poke around in down there like Todos Santos. Bring your belly, there are more restaurants than paved roads.

A buddy used to go to Cabo and Bahia Escorpion for surfing. If you surf this is a top tier destination.

Fish fish and fish man. Fish tacos, fish burritos, fried fish, fish stew... You'll wonder why you are heading back to Murica after about 2 weeks down there. I know I did.

Most of this was a long time ago but much of it hasn't changed. If I remember anything Ill repost.

Pretty good, don't forget Bahia Magdalena, especially if it's whale season.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm doing a one way trip from Cabo to the border in June. There is a road that cuts off of the one and heads NE to the coast then up to San Felipe. It's mostly compacted dirt but shouldn't be too bad on a bike.

Tecate is worth the visit? It crossed my mind but seems out of the way just to visit a brewery.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:03 pm

gnaruki wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm doing a one way trip from Cabo to the border in June. There is a road that cuts off of the one and heads NE to the coast then up to San Felipe. It's mostly compacted dirt but shouldn't be too bad on a bike.

Tecate is worth the visit? It crossed my mind but seems out of the way just to visit a brewery.

Tecate was worth it when I lived in San Diego. If you are going south to north, not so much. Tecate was a welcome separation from Tijuana
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Thu May 22, 2014 5:19 am

In La Paz for the night. Cabo was too packaged for my tastes. Had a bomb lunch in todos Santos today. Cerritos beach club was a great soda stop. Lots of domestic tourists in la Paz.

That's it for now. Posting via phone is annoying.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 pm

gnaruki wrote:In La Paz for the night. Cabo was too packaged for my tastes. Had a bomb lunch in todos Santos today. Cerritos beach club was a great soda stop. Lots of domestic tourists in la Paz.

That's it for now. Posting via phone is annoying.

Do you have pictures of your adventure????? :-)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby gnaruki » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:32 pm

I'll get a post trip report up soon.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe