Moving to Lake Chapala. Need some Black Flag Cafe Wisdom

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Moving to Lake Chapala. Need some Black Flag Cafe Wisdom

Postby plethoraofElGuapo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:48 am

I am about to take my Neapolitan Mastiff and drive down across the border into Nuevo Laredo then keep on driving down towards my destination, Lake Chapala. I know enough Spanish to get by, and as an owner of WDP I have got a good grip on basic "dont be a tourist" kind of stuff. What else do ai need to know about this drive and the route I will be taking? Where are the areas that should be avoided by everyone?

Also if anyone here is an avid fisherman, regular or flyfish, salt or fresh, PLEASE shoot me a message and lets talk. I can't wait to drive this country. I want to go off exploring and find some neat stuff.
plethoraofElGuapo
mach

Re: Moving to Lake Chapala. Need some Black Flag Cafe Wisdom

Postby goat balls » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:13 pm

"drive down across the border into Nuevo Laredo"

You do realize that this area and most of the turf south and east is Zetas territory?

If you must, same advice as always:

Stick to the main highways, you can't miss them, they're the ones with all the regular army convoys and checkpoints bristling with 50 cals. There's been a lot of hijackings in these areas over the last 12 months, mainly commercial stuff, but its a very active area. I have outfits asking us to work that area as 20 or 30 of their tankers have been jacked. I said no.

Avoid going up into any hill areas or back neighborhoods.

Don't act like an asshole. They'll kill you for sport.

Drive as close to a old beater as you can get and dress like a dirty farmer. Don't show any signs of wealth.

Avoid the local police, the state and federal police aren't quite as bad.

My best advice-drive over to Arizona-go thru Nogales then south. Its Sinaloa turf.

And good luck. Chapala is great and a much better place to be than the US.

Cheers
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby plethoraofElGuapo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am coming from Mississippi so Laredo vs Arizona is kind of a big difference. Great tips! Fortunately I have spent enough time in dangerous areas in the US to realize that being an asshole never works out good for anyone. I'm curious though, it seems pretty sad that it is so dangerous that one cannot fully explore the beauty and adventure that Mexico has to offer. I will certainly heed your warnings about staying on the major highways and away from backroads but I must admit that is a little disappointing. Is it like the States where I am going to miss a lot of the scenery by taking major highways and never meandering down any back roads?

Bill
plethoraofElGuapo
mach

Postby Osiris » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Get your pup vaccinated and vaccinated again. Make sure to have every record of your dogs vaccination and be prepared to present it. Other than that, best of luck. Let us know how it goes!
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:41 pm

plethoraofElGuapo wrote:Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am coming from Mississippi so Laredo vs Arizona is kind of a big difference. Great tips! Fortunately I have spent enough time in dangerous areas in the US to realize that being an asshole never works out good for anyone. I'm curious though, it seems pretty sad that it is so dangerous that one cannot fully explore the beauty and adventure that Mexico has to offer. I will certainly heed your warnings about staying on the major highways and away from backroads but I must admit that is a little disappointing. Is it like the States where I am going to miss a lot of the scenery by taking major highways and never meandering down any back roads?

Bill

Yeah, there's plenty of places that are safe to go off the beaten path, but not in northeast Mexico. I very reluctantly do some business there, but not nearly as much as I could. There's a company in Monterrey that had almost all of their drivers quit because of the hijackings. And they have 400 trucks. Going an extra day around to Arizona is a pain, but it's better than meeting the Zetas up close and personal. Remember that those guys have eyes and ears everywhere and they will notice you.

Do your homework, look around, get down south more, the cartel wars are in the northern states along the border but there is fighting in some areas down south too. Figure it out, have a good time, and good luck.

cheers
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe