Expedition along the 1,100km length of Angola's River Kwanza

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Expedition along the 1,100km length of Angola's River Kwanza

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:05 am

Hi All,

In June this year, I'm heading back to Angola with a friend to try and independently navigate the Kwanza River, from source to mouth. Assuming we manage to dodge all the crocs, hippos and waterfalls, this will set a new Guiness World Record.

It's a charity expedition, to raise USD10,000 for The HALO Trust's demining work in Angola. More details can be found on our website: http://www.kayakthekwanza.com or in our introductory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHcvUI96CBU. If you're feeling generous, our JustGiving page is here: https://www.justgiving.com/kayakthekwanza. Don't panic nowonmai, all the money is earmarked for a specific project in-country, so it won't be used to pay for dodgy expense claims or boarding school fees for the board of directors!

We'll be sure to keep you posted on developments, and you can live-track us via the website. Can't wait to get out there! Hopefully this will open up the river to a few more visitors and give Angola some much-needed positive publicity!

Hoping to take some drone footage of the trip too, so if anyone knows about that tech, give us a shout.

Cheers,

Oz

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Re: Expedition along the 1,100km length of Angola's River Kw

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Well that is cool as hell.

I certainly do not have the fortitude to do that, even sans brain tumor so I will be living vicariously through you and telling people I know that I know you better than I actually do in order to gain approval of my peers.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Fuckin nice.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Very cool!

I've got some oil industry contacts in Luanda if required? They might know some good bars. I haven't spoken to them in a year but I believe they are still there.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Darcy wrote:Very cool!

I've got some oil industry contacts in Luanda if required? They might know some good bars. I haven't spoken to them in a year but I believe they are still there.

I lived in Luanda for five years, so I think I'm all set for dodgy bars! However, if you know any oil industry types who might be keen on forking over some sponsorship cash, by all means, please put us in touch!

Cheers.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Annoyingly, I'm having to do all my pre-expedition training in freezing London....

...while Alfy gets to do all his in tropical Angola!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Sounds like abitchin trtip dude. And try not to fall in the Thames, that shits nasty.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Darcy wrote:Very cool!

I lived in Luanda for five years, so I think I'm all set for dodgy bars! However, if you know any oil industry types who might be keen on forking over some sponsorship cash, by all means, please put us in touch!

Cheers.

They're French pilots, you aren't even going to get them to pick up the tab at the bar......

Looks like a blast Mate!
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 am

If you hear a passer by shouting "Oi! Ozymandias! Call that paddling you caaaaaant?" that'll probably be me. That yellow canoe is now on my watch list.

I still disapprove of the HALO trust and all its inventions but good luck. If you find any diamonds here is a secret list of possible fences (which one is rickshaw)?

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:35 am

"Ohjes, joulikatoclossadaliva? sonly Vunhundledollahs!!"

Muntobligado!! Good luck with that, looks fun. Shiat. I gotta do a trip to Porto to try all the Port. If'n you wanna start a microbrewery in Luanda lemme know. And did you ever find NIJ?

Shit, midnight sun again. That timma year.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby nowonmai » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:45 am

I thought NIJ was a goner.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:16 pm

SRR wrote:"Ohjes, joulikatoclossadaliva? sonly Vunhundledollahs!!"

Muntobligado!! Good luck with that, looks fun. Shiat. I gotta do a trip to Porto to try all the Port. If'n you wanna start a microbrewery in Luanda lemme know. And did you ever find NIJ?

Shit, midnight sun again. That timma year.

I went looking for NIJ in Luanda in April 2010, after getting an address from SRR. Afraid I didn't find him (although nobody ever clarified exactly who "he" is or why he needed to be found!)
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:15 pm

From memory, rumour control on here was that he was killed in late 08. Demining, riding a motorbike, salmon mousse, who knows?

If so, that makes two watch fag contributors who have crossed over.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 am

First expedition bag packed! Now I just need to bag up all the exciting stuff (drone, GoPros, HD video camera, paddles, dehydrated & vacuum sealed food etc.!)

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:25 pm

We successfully completed the expedition this afternoon. After 32 days of travel we have raised over GBP18,000 for The HALO Trust. I'm editing together all the footage now. In the mean time, here's a few blog posts about us getting arrested at gunpoint by the Angolan security forces! https://kayakthekwanza.wordpress.com/
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe