Guangzhou China

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Guangzhou China

Postby Hitoru » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:07 pm

I've have been (tentatively) offered a position helping supervise planting a botanical garden somewhere near Guangzhou. It will pay very well but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the challenges it will entail.

I am down for adventure(s), but I have been around Chinese a lot and I have had issues dealing with them in a working relationship.

Half of my friends that have been to China liked it and the other half hated it, and couldn't wait to leave. Like Flip Flop said " China is too fucking weird". Weirdness doesn't bother me, over crowding and pushy people do.

The contract should last 90-120 days. Working 6 days a week. Not much time to sight see.

Should I go ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Re: Guangzhou China

Postby ROB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:44 pm

120 days isn't exactly that long. Even if you hate it.

Go.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:02 am

49th Foot and Mouth have beaten you to it, you guys are always late to the party.

British bombardment of Canton from the surrounding heights
On May 21 Chinese forces attempted a night ambush on British positions in the hills to the north of Canton but were repelled.
By 2:00 am on the 24th a contingent of naval and land units under Maj. Gen. Hugh Gough assembled, ready to attack the city. The right column, towed by the steamer Atlanta, comprised around 330 men of the 26th Cameronian, Madras Artillery and an officer of the Engineers. They were to attack and hold the factories with support from the men-of-war anchored on the Canton River. The left column towed by Nemesis consisted of more than 700 troops drawn from regiments that included the 49th Foot, 27th Madras Infantry and Bengal Volunteers along with 380 Royal Marines.[2] The right column reached its objective by 5:00 pm under Maj. Pratt of the 26th Cameronians, who held his men ready for defensive or offensive action.
The large number of troop-carrying vessels under tow by Nemesis slowed her progress and she did not reach the bank next to the village of Tsing-Hae,[C] some five miles up river, until dusk. Gough landed with the 49th Foot and carried out reconnaissance while other troops unloaded artillery from the ships. In his official report he later noted, "The heights to the north of Canton were crowned by four strong forts and the city walls, which run over the southern extremity of these heights, appeared to be about three miles and a half distant."[2] At 3:00 and already under bombardment from the two Western forts, British troops set up a rocket battery, two 5½ mortars, two 12-pounder howitzers and two nine-pounder guns, then returned fire. Under cover of the artillery, Lt. Col. Morris and the 49th, supported by the 37th Madras Native Infantry and Bengal Volunteers, had orders to advance up a hill to his left towards the nearest eastern fort. Meanwhile, the 18th Royal Irish under Maj. Gen. Burrell, with the Royal Marines in support, were to move forward to protect Morris' flank. At the same time Gough ordered the brigade of seamen to attack the two western forts but the sudden approach of a large body of enemy troops from the right forced him to detach the marines under Capt. Ellis to cover the right and rear. Together with an artillery brigade under the command of Capt. Knowles, Royal Artillery and the crews and troops of the attached naval squadrons, Gough had a total of around 6,000 men under his command.[3] When the advance sounded, the troops attacked, captured the four forts with comparatively small losses, and within a half-hour "British troops looked down on Canton within 100 paces of its walls.

To the northeast, a force of about 4,000 enemy troops--by Gough's reckoning--advanced across the open paddy fields and made a number of attacks on the British. They were repelled by the 49th, then at 3:00 pm on the 25th the "Tatar General" Yang Fang arrived and rallied the Chinese. Gough ordered the 18th, with a company of marines, to reinforce the 49th and put Maj. Gen. Burrell in charge of repelling the predicted attack. The British then routed the enemy, burned down their encampment and blew up several magazines. (as you do)
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:00 am

It's not call Canton any more and I presume your post was about the Opium wars.
I'm only interested in the Boxer Rebellion.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Kurt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Take it.

Its crowded, weird and pushy and you have to do the face saving, hand holding thing (you horked a loogie on me, but since you are older than me I will politely ignore the goober on my suit since it was by accident....I was once scolded for demanding a 40 something chinese dude wipe his gob off of me when I was a 30 something dude).

But it will be good for business, profitable for you and you will probably be dealing with people who have dealt with westerners before.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Go for fucks sake! Chinese beer is pissy though so be warned.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:33 pm

I just remembered that you're from Merica. In that case the beer is awesome!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:49 am

Haven't been there but I was in Hong Kong 15 years ago. If Guangzhou is anything remotely similar to HK its not as weird as say, India, but the food is nucking futs. Lets just say certain organisms are best left crawling through mud and the sea floor.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Go for fucks sake! Chinese beer is pissy though so be warned.

I can choke it down, if it's fresh.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:42 am

rickshaw92 wrote:I just remembered that you're from Merica. In that case the beer is awesome!

Merica's beer problem is now not that it is watered down piss but that it is over-hopped and highly alcoholic piss.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe