Madagascar (no, not the animation)

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Madagascar (no, not the animation)

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:21 am

I am relocating to Madagascar in August 2017. I will be working in the capital Antananarivo. Anyone been there or have any good tips on places to visit? I'll be exporting my 4x4 out there and am keen to explore!

I'm particularly keen to hear from anyone who has been surfing there (or in nearby Mozambique / Comoros / Mayotte / Réunion / Mauritius). Word on the street is it's quite sharky?

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Re: Madagascar (no, not the animation)

Postby Darcy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Not sure if it's any help but I lived in Mtwara, Tanzania for 3 years, on the Mozambique border, just across the way, and was in the ocean daily, plus numerous SAR exercises far out to sea. Never heard of any sharks whatsoever. The fisherman and local divers all swear there are no sharks. I know they had a serious rat issue awhile back, but that was 2 to 3 years ago.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:11 am

I can hook you up with a friend who has lived there for years.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:17 am

Hey Darcy, thanks that's actually quite reassuring! Went suring down in southern Mozambique last year and people said pretty much the opposite, which was worrying!

RYP, that would be great thanks! The more info I can get on the place before I move out there the better!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Are you working on the coup?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 am

Madagascar sounds kinda interesting.

How did you find Tanzania Darcy. Was just there a bit more of a shithole than I expected.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 am

As you move South along the coast, you will find sharks. They can get crazy as you get near seal rookeries South of Durban, but up towards Tanzania I was told the warm currents keep them away. I think those are the same currents coursing through North end of Madagascar. Or maybe it was cold currents? Whatever the currents were, they kept sharks away. Anywhere you have seal rookeries, I would not go in the water.

I really love Tanzania, and could have moved there to be honest. I still have plenty of good friends back there that I talk with weekly. The general population is extremely poor but you'd be hard pressed to find a happier more positive populace. I got caught up in a few riots but was never in any danger. We'd often stumble home across town in the wee hours messed up on konyagi and the only ones who ever stopped were people offering to take us home. One guy I worked with was involved in a coup attempt years earlier, he owns a small airline there now. He definitely helped us smooth things out when we needed "connections". The one thing that really brings the place down is the garbage, it's everywhere. Not much pride there unfortunately. The locals seem happy with the new government and cracking down on corruption. Kind of messy but it's one of my favourite African countries by far.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Well, there's definitely a load of them to the east in Réunion! Twenty attacks since 2011....ouch!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39038833

Also Darcy, your comments on Tanzania are similar to those of a few friends who live there at the moment. I would love to get out there one day.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am

RYP wrote:I can hook you up with a friend who has lived there for years.

Sounds great! Can you DM me their details? Or I can send you my email?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:09 am

Ozymandias wrote:
RYP wrote:I can hook you up with a friend who has lived there for years.

Sounds great! Can you DM me their details? Or I can send you my email?

Hey RYP, I made it to Madagascar! Have been living here for about six weeks now. The place is amazing. Am heading out from Antananarivo to explore the east coast this October. Will be sure to post some photos on here when I get back. In the mean time, would be good to contact your friend who has lived here for years!

Thanks.

Oz
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Douchebag » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich, Seth Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe