Looking for ideas: 9 days vacation in Europe

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Looking for ideas: 9 days vacation in Europe

Postby Misfit2112 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Ok, first post....but I been a long time lurker and I'm currently on a work assignment to company headquarters in Ansbach Germany. All the other guys in my crew are married, they will travel back to the states shortly; and me the only single guy will be staying in Europe for 9 days! I will have access to a company car, and I am allowed airfare to wherever I want to go. So anybody got any suggestions as to what would be a fun time around here? or should I just take a road trip to Croatia or something?
Life long student of Murphy's law
Misfit2112
mach

Re: Looking for ideas: 9 days vacation in Europe

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Misfit2112 wrote:Ok, first post....but I been a long time lurker and I'm currently on a work assignment to company headquarters in Ansbach Germany. All the other guys in my crew are married, they will travel back to the states shortly; and me the only single guy will be staying in Europe for 9 days! I will have access to a company car, and I am allowed airfare to wherever I want to go. So anybody got any suggestions as to what would be a fun time around here? or should I just take a road trip to Croatia or something?

Nobody replied?! Shame. I think you're better off asking on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Forums or the Couchsurfing forums if you want a quick response. Anyways, for what it's worth, if I was starting in Germany, had 9 days and had someone else picking up the airfare / car tab, I would do:

Road trip to Munich (1 night)
Flight / train up to Berlin (2 nights)
Flight / train to Hamburg (1 night)
Drive / train to Copenhagen (1 night)
Flight to Warsaw (1 night)
Flight to Budapest (1 night)
Flight to Helsinki (1 night)
Ferry to Tallinn (1 night)

Bearing in mind you're a single guy, I'm assuming you're looking to party. All of the cities above are awesome and are all connected in the ways described above.

Or, if just driving I would do:

Munich > Prague > Vienna > Budapest > Kraków > Warsaw > Berlin > Hamburg. Boom! 2000km. 9 days. A lot of hungover driving!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 am

Mach is that yew?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Definitely hit Prague, my favourite spot in Europe. Cheap, great food and night life, friendly locals, and the architecture is stunning. When I offer advice to Canadians looking for a trip to Europe, Prague is always at the top of my list.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:00 pm

This is like saying "I've two weeks, where should I travel to in America?" That's the continent. Not Donald country.

Impossible to give advice unless you are more specific. Very specific. What are you interested in? Reply with something like "ancient Hellenic monuments" or "art deco architecture", not just "culture." When are you going? July or November? Cities or nature? Mountains or coast? Typical (tacky?) Europe or places that are in Europe but look like they're on another planet? Scenic train travel or awesome road trips? Uninterrupted WiFi and potable tap water or apocalyptic, toxic, neglected hinterlands? As many miles as possible, or a compact itinerary centered around [location]? Price level? Language considerations? Collecting countries or exploring a small area in depth?

Oh, and if anyone offered me "airfare to wherever I want to go" in Europe I would totally ask for the most expensive ticket to a hard-to-reach airport served only by a few airlines. Longyearbyen, Greenland, the Azores, the furthest grass airstrip on the Shetlands or the Faroe Islands, Lampedusa, Hammerfest or some shit like that. Or be a smart ass and ask for a flight to Tahiti or Mayotte. ("It's a part of France and France is in Europe.")
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:07 pm

buffybot_in_beirut wrote:This is like saying "I've two weeks, where should I travel to in America?" That's the continent. Not Donald country.

Impossible to give advice unless you are more specific. Very specific. What are you interested in? Reply with something like "ancient Hellenic monuments" or "art deco architecture", not just "culture." When are you going? July or November? Cities or nature? Mountains or coast? Typical (tacky?) Europe or places that are in Europe but look like they're on another planet? Scenic train travel or awesome road trips? Uninterrupted WiFi and potable tap water or apocalyptic, toxic, neglected hinterlands? As many miles as possible, or a compact itinerary centered around [location]? Price level? Language considerations? Collecting countries or exploring a small area in depth?

Oh, and if anyone offered me "airfare to wherever I want to go" in Europe I would totally ask for the most expensive ticket to a hard-to-reach airport served only by a few airlines. Longyearbyen, Greenland, the Azores, the furthest grass airstrip on the Shetlands or the Faroe Islands, Lampedusa, Hammerfest or some shit like that. Or be a smart ass and ask for a flight to Tahiti or Mayotte. ("It's a part of France and France is in Europe.")

Great idea, head to French Guiana!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:20 am

Darcy wrote:Definitely hit Prague, my favourite spot in Europe. Cheap, great food and night life, friendly locals, and the architecture is stunning. When I offer advice to Canadians looking for a trip to Europe, Prague is always at the top of my list.

Funny that I always tell them to go to Leighton Buzzard (for the wildlife obviously).
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 am

buffybot_in_beirut wrote:This is like saying "I've two weeks, where should I travel to in America?" That's the continent. Not Donald country.

Do people edge away from you at parties?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:56 am

Where did you go in the end?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe