Guyana

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Guyana

Postby Darcy » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Apparently I'm off to Guyana next. Spent a year in Suriname so I think I've got a good idea what to expect, but any additional info appreciated.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Guyana

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu May 11, 2017 2:55 am

Wish I knew more about the place, seems interesting. However, do you expect to encounter any Guyanese there, or do you figure they have all emigrated to Canada?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 am

I'm sure there are some left. Some cool eco-tourist hikes on the Brazil border I want to do, and if it's anything like Suriname, there'll be plenty of seedy bars to find.

Headed to Trinidad first tomorrow morning then I'll find out what's going on. Just found out they don't allow oversize baggage into Trinidad unless it's gulf clubs! Headed to the airport now to see about shipping my mountain bike down separately as cargo. I've been breaking the bike down completely and stuffing it into a hockey bag and lugged it all over Africa and the Middle East (actually it's touring bike number 3...I broke a frame in the hills of Tanzania so the first one was trashed, and an ex-Royal Marine borrowed the replacement while I was away and promptly got accosted by machete welding youths his first ride out, in an area I rode through almost daily for 3 years....so this is bike number 3)
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 am

Guyana is amazing! I spent a month travelling around that part of the world a few years ago (did Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname plus Trinidad & Tobago). Here are some photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9c2ce6c780
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu May 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Great shots! Thanks for sharing. I recognize a few buildings from Paramaribo. Found thee coolest bar...on the docks out over the river, couple of pool tables, old, old, old, played Motown classics non-stop, still chat to one of the waitresses ;) ....almost lived there with my Nicaraguan pal. He crashed last year and didn't survive. Miss him. Some very fond memories from Suriname.

I hope to get to Kaieteur Falls as well. My buddy from Trinidad was in there last week and said he's setting it up for me.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Fri May 12, 2017 7:27 am

For those who haven't seen it, Kaieteur Falls is the largest single-drop waterfall by volume in the world with a 226m drop. In the middle of the jungle, but luckily has a landing strip right next to it!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat May 13, 2017 2:54 am

I'm guessing that is ne of the ain attractions there, looks amazing....your pic?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:I'm guessing that is ne of the ain attractions there, looks amazing....your pic?

Yup! Here's another!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe