Offered a job in South Africa-Advice?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Offered a job in South Africa-Advice?

Postby UncleSam » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 am

Hi all,

New poster here.

I am a US-UK dual citizen in my 20's, and I have just finished grad school. The other day I was offered a job with a startup organization in South Africa that would have me often traveling around the continent as a part of my work. The position would pay around $40,000 per year with benefits and accommodation in Johannesburg where the job is based as a part of the contract.

I was wondering if I should seriously consider the position or not given the pay/risk? I ask as I've lived in the US in for most of life and I am worried about the culture shock/differing work environment. Since I'd be working with African individuals/organizations how much of a shock would I be in for as a westerner?

Also just how bad is the crime problem in Johannesburg? I'd be living in Sandton which from what I've read is one the wealthiest suburbs of the city. Given that crime is high in the city is there nightlife on the weekend etc?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts/advice!
UncleSam

Re: Offered a job in South Africa-Advice?

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:48 am

I would jump at this opportunity. Sounds like a good package, especially if you are in your 20s. Is $40,000 pay gross or net? Sandton is cool, lots going on, and from Joburg you have plenty of cheap travel opportunities. As long as you're sensible South Africa isn't too dodgy (not even Joburg). Certainly not the murder-spree that news makes it out to be, as long as you stay out of the townships and take sensible precautions, especially at night.

Go for it! I have been to South Africa multiple times, have friends there and would not hesitate to move there (in fact we applied for a job there starting August 2019 but didn't get it...)
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby IJLIII » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:45 am

I did the same thing in 1978. Never went home, still live in Africa. Sounds like a great opportunity to see and do things you might not be able to in a decade or two. A little situational awareness, local advice on the security situation, and you'll be fine.
Cave ne barbatus in Spiritu Sancto et in nocte
IJLIII

Postby Darcy » Fri May 03, 2019 11:35 am

Agreed, South Africa is a gorgeous place. Make local friends and hang with them till you get the lay of the land.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe