In a DP: walking past a red tailed hawk while it's eating.

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

In a DP: walking past a red tailed hawk while it's eating.

Postby Lunatock » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 am

Short description of this series of photos:

A beaver that was raised in capivity was then released into the wild, and into a stream this red tailed hawk patrols for prey. Newly released beaver somehow wound up running from the stream, and a nearby bridge AND storm drain that it could of ran into/under & survived.

Instead it ran aross a lawn, then out into an intersection with thirty mile hour gusts of wind, where it was caught & partially gutted before being carried back to the yard and eaten.

I was told about the hawk eating something in someone's yard, went out & snapped the first pic. Then while walking past it the hawk took a short hop towards me & perched on top of t's kill. Either planning to take lunch elsewhere...or attack me. Either way I walked around it in a wide circle, to not lose the photo op. Or a chunk of my backside.

First photo, before I walked past it and may have come close to being attacked.

Is it just me or am I getting a dirty look from a nice size bird of prey?

After the hawk flew away, I snapped a photo of what it didn't eat. And note the flat black tail.
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

too bad about the beaver

Postby denise » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:37 am

i see red tail hawks pretty frequently, but it never occured to me that one would ever attack me. is this a concern and how would it manifest itself, in some sort of noisemaking/swooping action or would actual claws and beak be involved?

nice pics, by the way.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:48 am

Cool pictures. I thought it might have been yours as you were so close. I had a "pet" black vulture for years named Hurl.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Re: too bad about the beaver

Postby Lunatock » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:34 pm

denise wrote:i see red tail hawks pretty frequently, but it never occured to me that one would ever attack me. is this a concern and how would it manifest itself, in some sort of noisemaking/swooping action or would actual claws and beak be involved?

nice pics, by the way.

I'd say it is a wild animal that is whats known as "food bowl aggressive". And I'd rather not find out exactly how it would protect a scarce meal in the middle of winter.
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:27 pm

Red tails are more passive of the bunch. For a real show, get close to a Northern Goshawk's nest in the middle of the woods. At about 100 yards away or closer, they will start divebombing you. Note the razor sharp talons sticking out as they fly from the canopy towards your head. For comparison, a Red tail will just fly out of the forest (above the canopy) and start their screaming as typically do when soaring the air currents.

Despite this, it's not really dangerous, but it might be a tad fear inspiring when you feel the wind from their wings.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Common Nighthawks get pissy when you wake them during the day. They will dive bomb us, but never actually strike.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby michelle in alaska » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:03 am

woody said:
For a real show, get close to a Northern Goshawk's nest in the middle of the woods

YES. Beware of goshawks. They will harrass you. The problem is, if you're in close woods, you won't realize what the heck is going on till you realize something is swooping down upon you to do a major fly-by, right over your head.

Those are beautiful pictures, Lightstalker. Btw, you are a brave man. :)
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lunatock » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:49 am

michelle in alaska wrote:woody said:
For a real show, get close to a Northern Goshawk's nest in the middle of the woods

YES. Beware of goshawks. They will harrass you. The problem is, if you're in close woods, you won't realize what the heck is going on till you realize something is swooping down upon you to do a major fly-by, right over your head.

Those are beautiful pictures, Lightstalker. Btw, you are a brave man. :)

Wrong inherantly psycho photographer.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby Kurt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:24 am

Never ran into a Goshawk at all and it is one of the few birds of prey that I don't think I could identify right away.

Lets not forget the red wing blackbird for agressive defense. I am quite thankful they are as small as they are.

19 D 20:

Did you name your vulture "Hurl" because of their tendency to puke when afraid or was it for another reason?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:35 am

Initially, I did name her(?) hurl for the defensive action of spewing the most vile vomit I've ever smelled. But being very social birds the are, she would offer up her semi digested food with us when she was mature.

I got her from a tree-stand loggers had destroyed, and raised her in my back yard in the city. I was the only one she would come to. It was a trip driving home on I-10 and being able to see her circling 200+ feet over my house.

I sure wish I had video of her when she would tug of war with a piece of liver with my neighbors's cat.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Kurt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:48 am

I know what smell you are talking about. My girlfriend in college used to do taxidermy on birds for the college museum. So our romatic drives off campus and into the country usually ended with me driving her and a bird corpse back home.

Anyway one time she found a Turkey vulture without me while she was on a bike ride. She stuffed it and for about two weeks her hands had this smell that can only be described as "vulture smell". It was beyond rotting flesh that is for sure.

We tried garlic juice, vinegar, tomato juice, pickle juice, vanilla extract, kerosene, cheap perfume, expensive perfume, Polo cologne and it always smelled the same:

Garlic & vulture, vinegar and vulture, tomato and vulture, pickle and vulture, vanilla and vulture, kerosene and vulture, Polo by Ralph Lauren and vulture.

I am losing my appetite just thinking about it. I remeber she gave up taxidermy as a hobby after that as well.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:10 am

Her smell was only an issue when she would hurl, and she would only on special ocasions . One of the many "funny" things about vultures is when they shit it just runs down their legs.

She slept on the telephone lines behind our house, eventually the had to replace the every few months, she would rub her beak on the wires, the phone techs couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Watching the female dog catcher try to net her was hours of entertainment.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:10 am

sorry, lunatock. :)
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lunatock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:47 am

michelle in alaska wrote:

sorry, lunatock. :)

No prob. And the name & portfolio are different, but we're both "dangerous photographers".

Except when working fashion shows or shoots. Models kill photographers all the time.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes