Random Angola photos

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

Postby monkey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 am

fantastic shots, really interesting. how many people did it take to get the van out of the manhole? - poor bastards..
the mud train track has such great texture. You aren't a bad photographer at all. The point of most photography is to provide something interesting to look at, and thats a skill in the eye, not the camera, and you have great content.

the other tricks like 'rule of thirds' or golden ratio you pick up along the way.
i have a personal preference for wider shots usually, especially for landscapes, so by cropping the top and bottom of some shots you can give them a lot more impact (and you are usually just cutting off some sky and dirt anyway.

your shot with the Kids in Luanda is really nice, but i think if you cropped the top half off, and the right sixth (thats sounds weird to write, but i was just measuring by blocking it off) you'd have a really special picture on your hands. I really like that one.
At first i didnt even see the little fellas behind the wall. were they throwing tings at each other or down the gap?
monkey

Re: Random Angola photos

Postby NIJ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:07 am

A few pics on the way to Malange:

Don't park your car for too long in the rainy season if you don't want to dig it out.

The illustrious town of Wata.

The cops were stopping everyone for no apparent reason. I had to wait for them to be distracted so I could take this from behind the truck because they sometimes shoot you for it. Unfortunately I missed the MP5 he is holding by his side.

Some town on a detour.

"You have to consider we're only made out of dust. But even considering, I mean it's a sort of bad beginning, we're not doing too bad." - PKD, The 3 Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby NIJ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 am

What's with the four photo limit? Are we trying to discourage pictures on the flag?

Dirty little bastard.

Detail of a monument in Malange to the Cubans withing writing made of AK bullets. The rest of the monument is composed of old AKs.

I'll post more from Malange and the area later.
"You have to consider we're only made out of dust. But even considering, I mean it's a sort of bad beginning, we're not doing too bad." - PKD, The 3 Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:52 am

Awesome - looking forward to it mate

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby NIJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:49 am

On the road to Quela:

Valley of the Chickens - it actually has an Umbundu name that I can't remember but it translates to this. It's not much to look at, but there are between 500-1000 bodies of men, women, and children down there, all slaughtered by the Portuguese as a lesson to Angolans not to stir up trouble. I don't think it had the desired effect because shortly thereafter the rebellion started in earnest.

Malange Province was a major UNITA stronghold throughout the war partly because Joseph Savimbi (the rebel leader) lived there. After his death the war ended, but not before Malange, Quela, Caculama, Kagandala, etc were blown to shit. In Malange you are hard pressed to find a building that isn't either riddled with bullet holes and mortar damage or newly refinished. Malange still remains firmly loyal to UNITA despite the massive presence of MPLA. This was Savimbi's house in Caculama:

Bullet holes and ruined buildings aren't the only reminders of war around here. Tanks, APCs, and other miscellaneous military hardware are everywhere.

NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby NIJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:49 am

Yet another contrast is the Chinese presence. In this picture you can see how the Africans live and also the massive modern housing the Chinese built for their workers. For every project they bring in all of their own people from management all the way down to laborers, only hiring a few token Angolans for temporary work. It's no wonder there's a lot of resentment.

As you move north in Malange you start to enter the mountains and forests that eventually become the vast central African forests.

The town of Cacuso:

NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby NIJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:50 am

The ubiquitous children - one of these kids was trying to convince me to marry his 6 year old sister. I declined much to his disappointment.

And of course the favorite export of the Portuguese is still found everywhere, although these days it is often much adapted to Angolan standards for better or worse.

And finally, this is where I was working last week. Not just this one of course, but several. Usually I work in an office so I take every opportunity to get out and do site work. Last week the excuse was that 'we were having lots of delays so I needed to get in the field and help streamline things' which is of course utter bullshit.

NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:00 am

Very cool.

Thanks for posting them.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:03 am

These last couple of posts NIJ are really very good. The group that include the tank are my favorite ones yet.

Not that you care what I think, but I've noticed a marked improvement in your photos overall, and
in essence I can say they are the most interesting photos I've seen of Angola.

Thanks.

Best,
Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby swagnit » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks NIJ.
Awsome photos.
And the wide range of subjects gives a such great view of life there.

And now for the geek bit.
Tubular legged tower for the mobiles site. Chinese made?

Cheers
Swagnit.
swagnit
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:13 pm

NIJ Thank you so much and please keep em coming. Your photo skillz are excellent.
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 am

yes, please keep 'em coming!
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Tacos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:45 am

I think he's in Zimbabwe right now. I'd like to hear a report from there and of course, see the pictures.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby NIJ » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:37 pm

swagnit wrote:Tubular legged tower for the mobiles site. Chinese made?

Israeli made actually by LR Group or one of their subsidiaries.

tacos wrote:I think he's in Zimbabwe right now. I'd like to hear a report from there and of course, see the pictures.

Unfortunately my trip was delayed so now I'm leaving for South Africa this Sunday and Zim on Tuesday.
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tacos » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:45 pm

NIJ wrote:
swagnit wrote:Tubular legged tower for the mobiles site. Chinese made?

Israeli made actually by LR Group or one of their subsidiaries.

tacos wrote:I think he's in Zimbabwe right now. I'd like to hear a report from there and of course, see the pictures.

Unfortunately my trip was delayed so now I'm leaving for South Africa this Sunday and Zim on Tuesday.

Have a good trip and report back to us.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes