Ho Chi Minh City, VN

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

Ho Chi Minh City, VN

Postby OneLungMcClung » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm

Here's some pics from HCMC Vietnam from last summer. About as dangerous as brushing your teeth, but still fun.

Here is HCMC's Main Post Office, originally built by the French in 1891.That's Uncle Ho watching over you, making sure you get the correct postage.

Giac Lam Pagoda. Buddhist, built 1744. I was fortunate enough to be there on the 2,251st Birthday of the Buddha!

Vietnam has one of the largest Chinatowns outside of China - Cholon. HCMC has 6+million peops, Cholon = 2 million of that.
Here is the Cholon Mosque/Market. Built 1932

Here's a pic from the roof of the Rex Hotel. This pic shows some of the traffic.

Here is Tan Son Nhut airport - AKA Ho Chi Minh City International Airport, formerly known as Tan Son Nhut airbase - our main base for the Air Force fighter-bombers that controlled Warzones III and IV (The southern half of South Vietnam) and terrorized the VC; as well as the main hub for MAC (Military Airlift Command). If you were a young grunt, REMF, or whatever on your way to the Nam, you likely passed through this airbase.

In this picture - the old bunkers that we set up to keep our planes safe from Charlie's annoying and many times deadly rocket attacks. Still in use, they now house everything from equipement, firetrucks, government aircraft, housing, and storage.

Here are old South Vietnamese Air Force C-130A's. Just rusting away... this was as close as I could get in the Terminal, but I got closer on the way out. They aren't in use. It's strange, they also aren't on display, they just sit there, rusting. The Red arrows point to their tails, they are the camo aircraft. The white ones are (I think) old Soviet Illyushin (?) transports. And look at the wall next to the middle Illyushin - that's an old shrapnel barrier, now 40+ years old. We built that during the war. I was standing in front of a big picture that showed a camera with a cross though it and said "NO PICTURES". =)

Notre Dame Cathedral, Saigon neighborhood, HCMC.

Dedication at Jade Emperor pagoda

Traffic. The side streets like this are the best places to find cheap cold beer and cheaper Pho. People were generally very friendly, and once they got the clue that I wasn't interested in paying for "masajee" (it's frankly a pain in the ass sometimes to be a single white male traveling alone, if you aren't looking for boom boom or weed), I actually had some really cool conversations with them. I met people from all kinds of walks of life, including several men who claimed to have been ARVN during the War and had some really cool and harrowing tales to tell.

Here is a vid. It is not mine, but you get the drift of the traffic there. The way you cross the street is slowly walking, but with purpose, DO NOT STOP, and keep looking at the oncoming traffic. People who run get creamed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrl7eFsyln0

Liquid refreshments. Yum! The beer on our left is 333 beer, which is a staple of tourist beers in VN. I liked it. In Vietnamese, it is said "three three three", which sounds like "Baa Baa baa". However, the inside joke is that westerners say it too fast "ba ba ba", which in the Vietnamese tonal language, means "three old ladies". "I'll have three old ladies" - best said while in the masajee parlor. This fact was told to me on the plane... and I died laughing while reading my tourist guide - because it was in there too. The guy who was my stew on the plane asked me if I wanted ba ba ba, the cheeky bastard had a smirk, so I said, I didn't want three old ladies. he thought that was funny.

You should all know Tiger beer. Good stuff.

For the Red Bull - I don't drink energy drinks because they make the voices in my head angry, but I was wondering if this is the real deal or a rip off? (trademark rip offs in Asia?!!?!!!! I call bullshit...) Anyone?

Thunderheads. I was having a beer and listening to the thunder, A spiritual moment.

This was on the way to the roof of the Rex hotel. During the American portion of the war, American Army officers were billeted here. Also, this is where some of the "Five o clock follies" was given: the daily official military press briefings.

There are tons of bugs in the air at around 6 pm. There are these beautiful little birds, too fast for my digital, who come down and whirl around and eat the bugs and have the most harmonic singing. Its beautiful. As they circle, there is tension in the air, then CRACK! A thunderclap, the birds disappear, then it rains like nothing you have ever seen outside the tropics.

Last edited by OneLungMcClung on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Roof of the Rex :-)

Postby el3so » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Nice pics, OLML
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby SRR » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:07 am

Great photos Mr. Mclung.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Stiv » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:02 am

Cool M I loved the time I spent there. Nice to see your pics.

I think that red bull is the real deal but as you can see it's primarily a product of Thailand in that part of the world as are a few other energy drinks that come in these little tiny bottles. It's pretty big in Indonesia too.

Best,
Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I had a lot of fun there.
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:30 am

How long would $2000 American last in Vietnam?
Sri Lanky

Postby OneLungMcClung » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:19 am

Sri Lanky wrote:How long would $2000 American last in Vietnam?

A very long time. When you are being conservative you can eat for like (US$1.00 - $5.00) < per day. Accommodations are on the cheap side too. And that's in HCMC - It's cheaper outside of the city, away form the tourist areas.

Interestingly, the price of gas was comparable to the US: ~ US$3.50 per gallon (but in liters and đồng). 1 US dollar = ~ 16,139.00 VND today on http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi. IIRC (but it was over a year ago), 1 liter = ~15,000 đồng?

A bowl of Pho and a beer was under 15,000 đồng, so less than a dollar, but you had to get off the tourist track.
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:25 am

Yea, but how long would it last for a whorehound?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:13 am

Yeah,what shivers said.
Sri Lanky

Postby OneLungMcClung » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:16 am

Ask JITW. I believe hes whored around there.
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:03 am

OneLungMcClung wrote:Ask JITW. I believe hes whored around there.

haha, thanx for the pix,

jitw is going to have a conniption if you call him a whoremonger!
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 am

Most men search for what is called the motherwhore....but not necessarily the mother of all whores.
Sri Lanky

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes