pics of Coiba

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

pics of Coiba

Postby babihutan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:17 pm

No, sorry this is not the Cuban cigar COHIBA , this is the island off the Pacific coast of Panama that has all the qualities of a an 80's B movie: huge, isolated jungle-covered island once home to a penal colony, now protected, open to tourists as of only a few years ago. Many endemic plant,animal species, second largest coral reef in the Americas within its waters. I was just there around Christmas, incredible place. So I wanted to share some pics.
My problem is I seem to be able to only upload one photo. Does anyone know a way to put a bunch of the pics in this topic, cause I have around 20 or so, so would be happy to share the rest!
Cheers!
[attachment=0]P1050864.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
P1050864.JPG
P1050864.JPG (50.53 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Re: pics of Coiba

Postby flipflop » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:36 am

babihutan wrote:My problem is I seem to be able to only upload one photo. Does anyone know a way to put a bunch of the pics in this topic, cause I have around 20 or so, so would be happy to share the rest!
Cheers!

Nice shot! Best way to get lots of pics on here I believe is this:

Open a free Flickr account, upload the photos you want to post, re-size, fix them etc on there using Picnik. When you're happy with them and have re-sized them to fit the BFC (800 x 800 pixels max), then cut and paste the pic's URL and using the "Img" button on the posting page you can post them here, and not as attachments.

You can pay $24 and get a pro Flickr account - unlimited uploads (the free account is imited to 250 pics I think), and other Gucci functions

Hope that helps, if you don't like Flickr there's always Photobucket and other hosting sites to choose from

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:47 pm

thanks a lot for that tip, will get on that! I'm about as retarded as they come with computers, so look forward to joining the 21st century this year.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tacos » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Coiba has some of the best diving around too. I spent 3 nights there a couple years back, we had to stay at the ranger/research station. Have they added any other tourist facilities, as you mentioned they opened it to tourists? Well worth the trip if find yourself in Panama with some extra time.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:41 pm

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/33942066@N05/3163544515/[/img]
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:52 pm

hahaha, oops, that didn't work!
Tacos wrote:Coiba has some of the best diving around too. I spent 3 nights there a couple years back, we had to stay at the ranger/research station. Have they added any other tourist facilities, as you mentioned they opened it to tourists? Well worth the trip if find yourself in Panama with some extra time.

Oh, so you were one of the prisoners there a few years back? :) Well, not too much has changed, we also slept in the little cabins at the ranger station, maximum of 40 people on the island per night, but rarely more than a few people at a time. Sadly, they are planning on increasing the volume, and changing tourist facilities from government hands to private to provide better quality. Also, they are building a dive shop building by the ranger station, and will be ready this year.
You're right, I don't dive, but people I talk to say it's some of the best. Just judging by the snorkeling on the shallow reefs, I was amazed, swimming with white-tipped sharks, moray eels, all kinds of weird looking creatures I couldn't possibly describe. Such a pristine place, I hope the government doesn't sell out on this gem!
Now back to trying to post some pics using flickr. I may be driven into a violent anti-technology rage soon if this doesn't work!
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:54 pm

babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:22 pm

babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:34 pm

babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:43 pm

babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:49 pm

babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Wow - cool - glad you got that figured out. It looks splendid. Do any fishing?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:48 am

You are good to go there bud!!!

Amazing shots, glad to help

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby babihutan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Woodsman wrote:Wow - cool - glad you got that figured out. It looks splendid. Do any fishing?

nope, I could be wrong, but I believe they don't allow fishing in the park's waters. Funny, we were gonna bring a harpoon just in case, but boat captain said there's no way. Some of the best fishing would definitely be there, and just outside the park's waters, there is still amazing fishing, and boats regularly take people there. I prefer to fish for food, personally, so I wouldn't have been in the right place.
The best place from what I hear is off the coast of Darien!
flipflop wrote:You are good to go there bud!!!

Amazing shots, glad to help

Cheers

Thanks again! learned something new
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes