Axis of evil

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

Re: Axis of evil

Postby Penta » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am

And finally, the last batch of pics. This is a 19th-century carpet merchant's house in Kashan. Or at least, this is the public part. The haram, family bit, was next door. Lovely courtyard, as usual. At the end you can see where steps go down to a whole set of basement rooms, where they lived in high summer, cooled via the air towers on each side at the top:

A gardener hard at work even on a Friday:

Part of the main reception room. It was all completely over the top, rather like contemporary grand Victorian houses in England. The upstairs doors gave the women a chance to see what was going on on special occasions (what a marvellous concession):

And a detail of a soldier I took especially for the military types among us:

The End.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 am

It's expanding hugely; lots of opulent mansions under construction on the outskirts and whole new suburbs.

Any idea why?
All the public hammams have been closed down since the revolution

Again, any idea why?

Penta, those pictures are great, all of them......even the blurry ones where you're obviously shaking from infirmity.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:28 pm

coldharvest wrote:
It's expanding hugely; lots of opulent mansions under construction on the outskirts and whole new suburbs.

Any idea why?

Not really. Possibly general prosperity thanks to the high oil price until recently? Expats sending their money home and investing in bricks and mortar? Corruption?

All the public hammams have been closed down since the revolution

Again, any idea why?

Again, not really. The guide said people now all have bathrooms at home, so no longer necessary (and it's true that when I was there, in the women's hammam anyway, they did go with their children once a week or whatever for a good bath, scrape, general clean-up - and to do the washing). Maybe they're thought to be old-fashioned? Dangerous gathering points for fomenting opposition?

Penta, those pictures are great, all of them......even the blurry ones where you're obviously shaking from infirmity.

You should see the rejects. DTs? Emotion? Just not very good at taking photos - my problem is that I'm short-sighted; can't really look through view-finder with glasses, therefore can't tell exactly what I'm taking, so it's pot-luck. I'm v grateful for digital cameras, so I can take loads without worrying about film, and hope that a proportion come out more or less OK.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Jäeger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 pm

penta:
OK. You're off the hook for now. Looking forward to seeing your mirror work though.

After I told you where I'm putting my mirrors? Really, I had no idea you were so shameless ;)

You should see the rejects. DTs? Emotion? Just not very good at taking photos - my problem is that I'm short-sighted; can't really look through view-finder with glasses, therefore can't tell exactly what I'm taking, so it's pot-luck. I'm v grateful for digital cameras, so I can take loads without worrying about film, and hope that a proportion come out more or less OK.

However you managed, the photos turned out great. Thanks for taking them and for putting them up.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby Penta » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Jäeger wrote:After I told you where I'm putting my mirrors? Really, I had no idea you were so shameless ;)

Calm down. It's a very long way from here to there.

However you managed, the photos turned out great. Thanks for taking them and for putting them up.

Glad you liked them .
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby flipflop » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Good effort

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby projectalice » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:15 pm

Penta, I nearly missed this thread. Would have been a shame. Very interesting pics indeed. Thanks for posting them and taking the time to describe the one or other tidbit.
It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. (Ten Bears in "The Outlaw Josey Wales")
projectalice
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:27 pm

There's a bit of written stuff on the Travel discussion forum as well, under Iran: trip report, wh you might be interested in too, if you haven't seen it. Not sure why I kept them separate.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Penta wrote:There's a bit of written stuff on the Travel discussion forum as well, under Iran: trip report, wh you might be interested in too, if you haven't seen it. Not sure why I kept them separate.

control issues?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:46 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Penta wrote:There's a bit of written stuff on the Travel discussion forum as well, under Iran: trip report, wh you might be interested in too, if you haven't seen it. Not sure why I kept them separate.

control issues?

Are you suggesting I'm a control freak? More that I was trying to put things in their proper places: travel discussion in travel discussion, photos in photos. (And I wanted to write while it was fresh, and not sure if I'd have time to get to the photos straightaway.)

Not wanting to upset moderators, you understand, or have my threads moved about arbitrarily. Ever your most obedient servant, sir. ;)
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby svizzerams » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Wow Penta - I am behind in my 'flag browsing. Wonderful pics and looked like a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to post them!!!!!!
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Previous

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes