Pictures from Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Egypt trip

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

Pictures from Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Egypt trip

Postby quadaxial » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 am

Well, I've been procrastinating getting my pictures together or even figuring out how to talk about my epic whirlwind 3-week trip through those 5 countries, but now that it's been a month since I've returned, here is an album of 500 pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.m.bro ... rnOdyssey#

I had almost 6000 originally and it took a while just to cull these down and add captions and have it hang together and suit a variety of different audiences (e.g., pictures my family would be interested in vs. co-workers vs. friends). I'd rather put an even more limited version together for BFCers along with more specific stories and stuff, but I just don't have the energy for now.

The memories have become even more surreal lately in lieu of the elections. This chaos that is happening we could totally sense was coming when we were there a month ago based on our conversations with the younger people in the cities.

I'll try to do a trip report of some sort at some point, but for now, enjoy and comments and questions welcome.

Jason
quadaxial

Re: Pictures from Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Egypt trip

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:07 am

Those are very cool, top marks for posting such a treat for us.
It really made my morning.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:34 am

Looks as if you had a great time. You got a drink in Iran, too - several, in fact. ;)
Excellent pictures.

One correction: the Borujerdiha House in Kashan was built in the 19th century, not 600 years ago. I expect there was confusion between the AD and AH dates. According to the Iran tourist website, it was built between 1292 and 1310 AH.
http://www.itto.org/tourismattractions/?sight=1024
Hope you don't mind my pointing it out.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Aussie TJS » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:11 am

Good stuff mate. I'll admit i didn't look at all 500 but what i did see was great.
Post some of your stories up, that'd be good.
Cheers, TJS
Happiness is only a reality when shared
The goal is to Survive or die for a cause - I'll let Jah choose which one
'A weapon in any country is a faster way to trouble than using your brain' - vagabond
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby quadaxial » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:26 am

Penta- d'oh! Thanks for the correction! You know, I suspected that a little, but after my friend "verified" it at 600, I just went with it. Wow, I'm a dumbass!

And yes, we did drink on two occasions in Iran. The first was with the former Revolutionary Guardsmen and carpenter who had spent time in getting tortured in prison for publicly criticizing Khomeini. That night was watered down whiskey brought from Iraq and we mixed it with the fruity non-alcoholic Iranian beer and it tasted pretty nice... almost like a wine cooler if that makes any sense. The second was at the private garden of some wealthy oilman outside of Shiraz. The family wasn't there but their Afghani gardener let us in and we drank absolutely vile homemade "Shiraz from Shiraz" which we faux-enthusiastically drank and showed our appreciation (hey, these guys were breaking lots of laws to show us a good time, I'm not going to be a fussy wino).

It was really a fantastic trip for so many reasons and Iran was really the crown jewel.
quadaxial

Postby Penta » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 am

quadaxial wrote:absolutely vile homemade "Shiraz from Shiraz" which we faux-enthusiastically drank and showed our appreciation (hey, these guys were breaking lots of laws to show us a good time, I'm not going to be a fussy wino).

I used to drink it quite happily all those years ago. It may have been better then, I suppose, but let's say my palate was not very sophisticated in those days. Wasn't the "fruity non-alcoholic Iranian beer" vile? Yeuchh.

It was really a fantastic trip for so many reasons and Iran was really the crown jewel.

I'm relieved. If you'd extended the Iran part and then hated it, I would have felt slightly responsible.

Aussie TJS wrote:Post some of your stories up, that'd be good.

It would.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby projectalice » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Wonderful pics of a magical trip. Thanks for the captions too. I'm gonna burn all my travel pics for shame as they are boooooring compared to yours.
It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. (Ten Bears in "The Outlaw Josey Wales")
projectalice
BFCus Regularus

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes