topic

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

topic

Postby Sarahshj » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:56 pm

vv
Sarahshj

Postby flipflop » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:23 pm

What is the score with this gibberish? Are these people for real? Are they getting past you Kurt and onto the board? Damned nuisance

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby kilroy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:24 pm

you don't have to register to post on the tech questions forum so people with login problems can still ask questions.

however, the minus side of a no register forum is that it becomes a fertile ground for spammers.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Welcome to the world of automated Spambots.

A Spambot is a program that posts a certain topic and certain links from a centrally controlled computer that uses a botnet of compromised computers.

The last vulnerability in Windows Explorer gave Botnets about a 20% increase in fresh computers. Since most firewalls don't alert people to outgoing traffic and they would not understand it if it did anyway, they are able to use compromised computers from even the US and Europe.

What I do is ban IPs of the spammers but they just keep on coming. If I had been doing nothing at all there would be 20 or more posts here a day plus the ones that fail due to my banning.

On top of this, I spend a good deal of time deleting the registration spambots. Most of my "job" when I am not posting is blowing away spammers.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Technical Questions