Web crawlers

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

Web crawlers

Postby Dr. V » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:24 pm

Does anybody know anything about web crawlers? Using them to trawl websites and automatically download specific information into a database.

I've tried a couple of things - mirroring the website / mod_oia - some kind of Apache thingy (needless to say I wasn't in charge of that one!) / web scraper / wget - but so far nothing is really working.

Apparently its a cutting edge research method - so cutting edge nobody can get it to work!

thanks,
Last edited by Dr. V on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Kurt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:52 pm

and I was of no help to her at all.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Web crawlers

Postby phasmoid » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:16 pm

I work with search engine web crawlers. At least until my side job hijacking cigarette trucks gains some steam.

If i understand your question correctly you are using your own crawler to scrape content from other sites, right? Or do you want to get your own site crawled - not sure.

If you can give me a little more info i can possible answer your question.

Sorry for no profile yet. I am a newbie here.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
phasmoid
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:23 pm

phasmoid wrote:I work with search engine web crawlers. At least until my side job hijacking cigarette trucks gains some steam.

If i understand your question correctly you are using your own crawler to scrape content from other sites, right? Or do you want to get your own site crawled - not sure.

Sorry for no profile yet. I am a newbie here.

You behave better than most of them so feel free to stay.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby phasmoid » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks, will do. I can help with questions regarding search engines, survivalism, kalashnikovs, and drinking. Cross trained, you see.
phasmoid
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:32 pm

phasmoid wrote:I work with search engine web crawlers. At least until my side job hijacking cigarette trucks gains some steam.

Thanks for the offer but its too late - I gave it up as a bad job (having done the rounds of every techie person I could find and a few who weren't!) I found another way of gathering the data - which actually in hindsight is more accurate (which is always good) but much lengthier (which is bad) however if I decide to have another go in the future I'll be in touch - I'm kindof curious to know how it works anyway so when I get a minute or two spare (which could be long in the future as I'm moving house) you might get an incoming PM which outlines the 'master plan' in more detail.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby phasmoid » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:00 pm

My pleasure vlindsay. I can blab on about search engines and spiders etc so if i can be of help just give me a holler.
phasmoid
BFCus Regularus

Return to Technical Questions