how possible is this Ukrainian passport scam?

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

how possible is this Ukrainian passport scam?

Postby sileni » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:23 am

so, Ukraine changed their visa rules where now US and EU citizens must only stay up to 90 days within a 180-period.

i began working in kiev a little over 90 days ago on my US passport. i left before my 90 days were up to visit family in the UK, where i am now.

i have a letter of sponsorship from my company to obtain a 1-year business visa while in london in order to enter back to the country legitimately (it's impossible to do it in Ukraine), BUT i also have a british passport.... and i'll admit the thought crossed my mind about entering on my british passport and no visa, hanging and working for another 90 days and then leaving and re-entering when my US passport resets.

how robust is passport control's database? if i come in on the UK passport, will there be any cross-references to my US passport?

all in all it's a really shitty risk for saving money.... but if i knew it was possible i'd definitely do it to avoid paying out the ass for the business visa.

whatcha think?
sileni

Postby opsec » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:53 am

I'd like to know how you got that British passport in the first place. Care to let us all in on the secret?
opsec

Postby sileni » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:38 pm

my mom is british, so i applied for dual-citizenship when they changed the rules a year or two ago and got a passport.

so, i chickened out and paid $200 for a visa in london because i didn't want to risk losing time and missin work in kiev. turns out my friend tried it with his irish passport (he had two passports too) coming in from moldova and it worked. fuckin' shit.
sileni

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:33 pm

sileni wrote:my mom is british, so i applied for dual-citizenship when they changed the rules a year or two ago and got a passport.

I'm about to do the same thing.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Return to Technical Questions