Technical drawing? -I want to draw something like this.....

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

Technical drawing? -I want to draw something like this.....

Postby Dr. V » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:50 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdf/3298367999/

I've mastered the words part of it but does anyone have any ideas how I get the words to sit on top / crop around my picture?

Thanks,
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Re: Technical drawing? -I want to draw something like this.....

Postby lightstalker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:07 am

You can design the whole thing in photoshop.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby Dr. V » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:06 am

lightstalker wrote:You can design the whole thing in photoshop.

thanks - since the original post I tried photoshop - it looked 'orrible' but I've since found someone who is much better at it than me who is designing it for me so problem solved.

Although it will never look like the original as they used some kind of wordcloud programme to genearte the blocks which have made up the final version - if you follow the links through to the original jpeg you can see the detailed version and they havn't released the programme...
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Fenrisco » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:15 am

You (or your friend) might want to use Illustrator instead of Photoshop; Photoshop doesn't (AFAIK) support non-square text boxes, whereas in Illustrator you can make the text box whatever shape you want (including curves). So you can create a bunch of text boxes that are the right shape, then paste the text in and it will display in the correct shape automatically.

The only thing that I can't figure out is a simple way to get text of different sizes to display the same as in the example. This fellow's application appears (maybe) to base the font size on the amount of horizontal space available, and to do this several times with each iteration filling the gaps of the last, which is pretty smart. Using Illustrator (or Photoshop, or whatever) I think the only way would be painstaking manual effort, unfortunately.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Return to Technical Questions