DSL or Cable Internet

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

DSL or Cable Internet

Postby media » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:58 pm

I have Roadrunner now via Time warner and am thinking about switching to DSL via AT&T. they have a 1.5 a 3.0 and a 6.0 not sure where cable speeds fall into this?
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Re: DSL or Cable Internet

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:23 pm

http://www.speedtest.net/

DSL is usually constant but cable depends on how many other cable users on in your area.

My experience is that cable is the fastest for the best price but I have not tried FIOS yet. I have a dedicated ADSL+ plus line backed up by Road Runner. Road Runner is great but they totally fuck you if the cable goes down. I am too busy to dick around with them so I got a second connection.

As with most of the computer stuff I have the rule is "Don't do what I do, but do as I say" so I would check out Verizon Fios before deciding to keep cable or go with DSL. Usually I would choose cable over DSL but check your speeds first.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:54 pm

In the urban areas up here cable speeds are WAY higher than DSL and cable is more stable based on what my friends and family tell me.

When I use the public library computers to access something larger than I can get here at the house in a short amount of time, they are running faster than any of the speeds you listed. I'm thinking they average around 8 mb/s and peak well over 10 mb/s (I recall seeing speeds using speedtest.net around 14kb/s) For comparison, DSL is running in the 2.5 mb/s area (IIRC).

One thing you ought to do is go to speedtest.net, look up the connect speeds based on your area (if that is possible - not sure what area you are looking at) and see the comparison of connect speeds and go from there.

I can get neither where I live, so it's only a choice between Hughes and Alltel/Verizon (HSPD), and since Hughes has download thresholds, it wasn't even a fair comparison.

I get my nets through a cell card, wifi router and cellular repeater antenna. :-) Highest tech, lowest speed connect in the country. We don't even get 1mb/s connect here, but it's better than dialup, trips to public resources or conglomerates cutting my speed down to dialup when I get a few geotiffs.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Here you go media...for your convenience:

http://speedtest.net/global.php
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 pm

new apartment has cable 22 down and 4 or 6 up for 29.99 a month, should be interestin
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Technical Questions