Google earth

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

Google earth

Postby Penta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 am

Is there a way of posting (or emailing, etc) a place on Google Earth without including the co-ordinates and therefore giving away the location? I wanted to send someone the picture of our house, but couldn't work out how to do that.

In fact, it might be an interesting thread, rather like the one some time ago of views from your window.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Re: Google earth

Postby Fenrisco » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 am

Simple workaround: get the view you want, hit PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard to place a screenshot on your clipboard, go into your imaging application and paste the screenshot into a blank document, then crop, delete or blur the parts you don't want to show.

If you're good with Photoshop you can then drop in a few additional wings, swimming pools, helipads, gothic follies, and so on.

I'm not certain, but I rather doubt there's any way to do what you ask in Google Earth itself, since giving away locations is essentially its prime function.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks. I'll try that.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Woodsman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Here you go Penta:

Picture of your house from Google Earth:

;-) No charge.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks. If only. Actually, I don't really go for formal gardens. This is more my style:

Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Fenrisco » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:25 pm

I see they finally took the plunge and flooded Birmingham. Anyway, I don't know much about gardening but I reckon that whatever that giant green thing on the left is, it could use a bit of formality and discipline. Maybe it's just the photo but it sure looks uppity.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:48 pm

That giant green thing is a euphorbia (transplanted from the wild about 5 years ago), in full flower, this spring. And as you say, it needed to be taken down a peg or two. Unfortunately, when I tried to do that, trimming it back all over when it had finished flowering, it fought back by poisoning and practically blinding me. I knew the sap was mildly poisonous, but this is obviously a more powerful type than the euphorbia I'm used to. I was completely blind in one eye, and almost blind in the other, for several hours, even after dousing both liberally and repeatedly with eyewash, as well as burning all over - which was a bit alarming. In a DP in Penta's Mediterranean garden.

And my beautiful white broom, behind it to the right, suddenly just gave up the ghost and died, in a matter of a couple of days, two weeks ago. I have no idea why. No sign of any bugs or diseases, and it wasn't lack of water. I'm going to have to get a proper gardener to come and have a look at it when our current tenants have left and before we cut it down. Still, Mr Penta's quite happy, as it blocks too much of the view. Ah, the joys of gardening when you really have no idea what you're doing.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Caliban » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:38 pm

I see you have had a slope fitted to the sea for water skiing. :-)

Here is ours. The big one in the middle of the shot where the road curves

"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Penta » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Caliban wrote:I see you have had a slope fitted to the sea for water skiing. :-)

Yup. Always crooked.

That's a big house.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby kilroy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 pm

he lives in the basement.

easiest way for the technically impaired, just e-mail the person in question the coordinates. you can type those coordinates into the google earth search bar and the view will fly right to it.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Penta wrote:
Caliban wrote:I see you have had a slope fitted to the sea for water skiing. :-)

Yup. Always crooked.

That's a big house.

I guess theres lots of money sendin people to the big house.

See I made a funny.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Caliban » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:33 am

kilroy wrote:he lives in the basement.

easiest way for the technically impaired, just e-mail the person in question the coordinates. you can type those coordinates into the google earth search bar and the view will fly right to it.

There is a bar in the basement
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Aryan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:30 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I guess theres lots of money sendin people to the big house.

See I made a funny.

The dibble in scouser land obviously get paid commission then.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Aryan wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:I guess theres lots of money sendin people to the big house.

See I made a funny.

The dibble in scouser land obviously get paid commission then.

Just careful with the pennies...

Nah, family home for the last forty years. Mum and Dad and Uncle sold up homes and Business that my mum and Uncle owned in 1970 . pooled the cash and bought that . There were a load of us living there then but they have either passed or are on their last legs in distant lands, so these days there is just me old mum. I only lived there about two years then joined the Army. Moved back in with them for a little while in early 1980 just before I joined the rozzers in 1981,ended up dossing ther for five years until I got married !

Me and the wife are currently living there as my mums health has deteriorated badly in the last six months, so we can keep an eye on her well being.
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to Technical Questions