Website host

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

Website host

Postby bearanddragon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:03 am

Guys,

I'm trying to migrate a friend's website onto a good server/host that doesn't get blocked out by military servers. For your information, several websites are blocked completely and others during working hours overseas on US installations. Examples of completely blocked ones are facebook or myspace. Partially blocked ones are email ones like gmail or yahoo, and just about any sport website or website that features a forum / message board like this one. For some awesome reason, BFC does not get blocked at my work, so I can access it.

I would like to know who provides your hosting, or what the hell I need to do in order to migrate my friend's site over, so it doesn't get blocked. Because for some reason the .com (which auto-forwards) is completely blocked, and the actual site is partially blocked.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Re: Website host

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:31 pm

The webhost will have nothing to do with it (We use Wingsix.com) but rather the content of the website and quite often the software used. Quite often blogging software will get get a site blocked because it is considered "personal" pages. So if he doesn't want to get blocked and runs a common program like Wordpress then he might want to switch to more obscure blogging software like Bloxum or something.

Or he needs to get rid of his Meta tags. His site may have been blacklisted or greylisted because the firewall can read the meta tags that describe the site. Sometimes people try clever things to get more traffic like ad "sex" or something but perhaps he has "sports" or "Football" and that is greylisted.

meta tags are useless anyway since google searched content.

But the host you get will not make a difference unless he is being hosted on a known spammer host like FDC servers.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby bearanddragon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Yeah, I'm hearing that part. But my domain simply autoforwards. I don't know if there's a way to change meta tags on those things? The domain is blocked - not the site it points to. Strange.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm

bearanddragon wrote:Yeah, I'm hearing that part. But my domain simply autoforwards. I don't know if there's a way to change meta tags on those things? The domain is blocked - not the site it points to. Strange.

Yah, you go into your webpage, edit the metatags.

Is the website you ahve that forwards to another site owned by you? Like you registered bearanddragon.com with a hosting company and then were given your own amount of space and account with that hosting company and then decided to have bearanddragon.com forward to bearanddragonfriendsite.com?

or is this something else?

If it is something else then tell me what it is and that will be the reason why your site is blocked but your friend's site is not.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby bearanddragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Kurt, you are correct.

The site it forwards too has no issues showing up if i simply type in the longer URL. However, the domain (that auto-forwards) to it, does get blocked. Anyone accessing it using "normal" Internet will not have problems. It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying. Normally, the military also has an effective forum filter - so any message board is automatically blocked. yet the BFC comes up perfect. I want to know your secret!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:43 am

bearanddragon wrote:Kurt, you are correct.

The site it forwards too has no issues showing up if i simply type in the longer URL. However, the domain (that auto-forwards) to it, does get blocked. Anyone accessing it using "normal" Internet will not have problems. It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying. Normally, the military also has an effective forum filter - so any message board is automatically blocked. yet the BFC comes up perfect. I want to know your secret!

The secret is that no one has noticed us yet. Also we try to be accommodating to military access to the site...for example I will never ban a MIL IP even if it is riddled with trolls (SPAM from a mil IP will get a polite notice from me to check whatever computer leased a certain IP and a certain GMT time) simply because we know the internet on a base can suck ass and we here at the BFC want it to suck less.

Dunno if that is how we did it. We don't suck up the military either.

So I am not sure exactly.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Technical Questions