Good book on contemporary Latin American History

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

Good book on contemporary Latin American History

Postby Rupert » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:45 am

Looking for a fair book on contemporary Latin American History (20th century), specifically with US relations. Anybody have any ideas? I came across a book about the KGB's involvement in the 3rd world, "The World Was Going Our Way", which covers this a bit, but I was looking for something a bit more specific.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4948068
Rupert
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:27 pm

The best stuff is always done by leftists on this region.

I ditched my collection and I think my neighbor has it is now. Sometimes you have to filter through lots of commie bunk before you get at actual facts but I have found that commie stuff is the easiest to filter through.

A good example of an excellent book, written by an excellent historian was The Black Jacobins by CLR James..a Trotsky fan. But this was the first guy to give a shit about finding primary resources on the Slave Revolt in Santo Domingo (Haiti ) but you gotta filter through comparisons of Bonapart to Stalin etc. etc. ..but its a damn good book.

Check out a university or commie bookstore...they have huge central America sections.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby zudaka » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:51 pm

I don't know about any leftist book on contemporary Latin American history... but I've been reading a magazine from DC called Covert Action. They've writing a lot of stuff about the whole third world.

As far as Latin America, you'll find a bunch of interesting articles about all the dictatorship processes, Haiti, Cuba, Central America, Colombia... all related with the CIA, DEA (...) "help" and stuff. It's a damn cool magazine.

Check out their website: www.covertactionquarterly.org
zudaka

Postby grawp » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Dear Rupert,

I recommend the Footprint Handbook for the area you intend to learn about.
Their Central America Handbook, along with the Caribbean Handbook and the world famous South America Handbook should have just the information you are looking for, in a fairly non-biased manner, along witrh a huge load of travel info. Absolutely the best on the market today.

You can pick up the 199x hardbound copy of each one over at Abebooks.com for next to dirt cheap, or spend your cash at Borders or Barnes & Noble or some other pathetic "books for robots" sh'thole store and get the new crummy paperbound "Zagby Guide" -sized version that falls apart when you open it up.

Hardbound's the way to go.

Hope this helps,

grawp
grawp
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:22 pm

If you're after the Latin American rather than Euro or North American perspective, you can't beat Eduardo Galeano's Open Veins of Latin America.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Return to History