Recommendation Request

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

Recommendation Request

Postby Vincent » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Hey Gang, looking for recommendations on two subjects, slightly related.

First, best suggestions on books about the French Revolution. I know it's a big subject, but I'm looking for a good, general history.

Second, a little more specific. Best recommendations on books about the French Resistance during WWII, and the evolution of factions of it into French/Corsican Organized Crime, specifically Unione Corse.

Thanks.
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Re: Recommendation Request

Postby RAH » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:26 am

Many years ago read Days of the French Revolutionby Christopher Hibbert. Liked it then but can't remember anything else about it. For the other topic, it's not a book but a very long film doco..

The Sorrow and the Pity

http://www.amazon.com/Sorrow-Pity-Georges-Bidault/dp/B00005AFSL

that when shown in France made a good part of the population very uncomfortable and shattered some myths.
RAH
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:13 am

Citizens by Simon Schama for your French revolution stuff.

I'd be interested in hearing about the Corsicans as well.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Rhah » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 pm

You're going to have a tough time finding books on the Unione Corse. They are much more secretive than the classic Italian mafia and haven't been infiltrated to the extent that the Italians have. If anything the Unione has infiltrated French law enforcement. They have a code similar to Omerta, but take it much, much more seriously. Their families are more like clans. The Frenchies supposedly make use of the Unione Corse from time to time. TIME did an article in '72 on the Unione, link below.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html

Your best bet is to research specific people, but that is kind of like the Kyser Soze factor. Somebody knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy who worked for the Corsicans. Here's a few: Antoine Guerini, Auguste Ricord, Christian David, Lucien Sarti

EDIT: Sarti is known in some conspiracy circles as the "Grassy Knoll" shooter. Yes that Grassy Knoll. True/False: who the fuck will ever know. Sounds cool though Corsican assassins/smugglers involved with the JFK hit. Ok I'll quit lest this gets moved to the TFHC.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

bit late but...

Postby el3so » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 pm

yo Vincenzo, hope you can read Frog (didn't find an english version)
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: bit late but...

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:05 pm

el3so wrote:yo Vincenzo, hope you can read Frog (didn't find an english version)

If you can read frog you will find this ribbeting.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:14 pm

the French Resistance during WWII

Was this some kinda soap thing?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:39 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:

Zing, I got beer through the nose on that one. Both barrels btw.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Caliban » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:
el3so wrote:yo Vincenzo, hope you can read Frog (didn't find an english version)

If you can read frog you will find this ribbeting.

rickshaw92 wrote:

and the nominations for pun of the week are...
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to History