Crimean War Illustrations

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

Re: Crimean War Illustrations

Postby flipflop » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Suckers for punishment, it's the Presbyterian in them. I remember driving to Dunedin in south NZ with the wife a few years ago, it was winter. I suddenly realised this was the furthest I'd ever been geographically from home, and probably ever will be. I said to the missus "Wheres does this remind you of?" as the wind and rain lashed the little car, "It looks like your Mum's place". I'm right the other side of the Earth from Ulster and Scotland, and here I am driving to "Edinburgh" along a winding road with grass, wind bent trees and sheep everywhere. In a right-hand drive car. It was a weird experience.

Fucking Presbyterian Jocks/Ulstermen sail around the world, could have settled in hot & sunny Oz, or the warmer north island. But no, in the words of the Billy Connolly skit: "Head south brothers, I know an even colder place!". A bit of sun would be too much of an indulgence, Catholic even.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 pm

flipflop wrote:Suckers for punishment, it's the Presbyterian in them. I remember driving to Dunedin in south NZ with the wife a few years ago, it was winter. I suddenly realised this was the furthest I'd ever been geographically from home, and probably ever will be. I said to the missus "Wheres does this remind you of?" as the wind and rain lashed the little car, "It looks like your Mum's place". I'm right the other side of the Earth from Ulster and Scotland, and here I am driving to "Edinburgh" along a winding road with grass, wind bent trees and sheep everywhere. In a right-hand drive car. It was a weird experience.

Fucking Presbyterian Jocks/Ulstermen sail around the world, could have settled in hot & sunny Oz, or the warmer north island. But no, in the words of the Billy Connolly skit: "Head south brothers, I know an even colder place!". A bit of sun would be too much of an indulgence, Catholic even.

Cheers

*lol* Seems true for a lot of people. The Scandinavians that came to America moved to a place pretty much the same as they left. I like bucking the trend and am enjoying having become a temporary resident of somewhere that's 72 and sunny almost every day.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 pm

I met some Dublin blokes when I was in NYC/New Jersey in 1997, they spent the whole holiday looking for 'Irish Bars' - once they saw that electric green shamrock above the Bud sign in the window there was no stopping them. Inside was always full of more of the daft cunts, all sat listening to the diddly-diddly with damp eyes. I was honourary "Orange Bastard" until my patience ran out and I went looking for "American Bars" - a difficult mission in New Jersey.

So, I guess most people want a home from home no matter when or where they're from

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:30 pm

flipflop wrote:I met some Dublin blokes when I was in NYC/New Jersey in 1997, they spent the whole holiday looking for 'Irish Bars' - once they saw that electric green shamrock above the Bud sign in the window there was no stopping them. Inside was always full of more of the daft cunts, all sat listening to the diddly-diddly with damp eyes. I was honourary "Orange Bastard" until my patience ran out and I went looking for "American Bars" - a difficult mission in New Jersey.

So, I guess most people want a home from home no matter when or where they're from

I think historically most of our cities had their ethnic enclaves which became much more heterogeneous in the 20th century w/ the ability for mass migration. Lots of people still obsessed with claiming this or that heritage which, unless it's within three generations, I consider not to count. That's a whole other discussion.

Odd that some Dubliners wanted to drink in our version of an Irish bar. There's a company in the US that makes all that stereotypical tat.

Anyways, I bought the Afghan Connection book along w/ a collection of Somerset Maugham's travel writing. Will tie in well w/ finishing Lone Survivor and some other regional books I've been intending to read for a while.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:57 am

flipflop wrote:I met some Dublin blokes when I was in NYC/New Jersey in 1997, they spent the whole holiday looking for 'Irish Bars' - once they saw that electric green shamrock above the Bud sign in the window there was no stopping them. Inside was always full of more of the daft cunts, all sat listening to the diddly-diddly with damp eyes. I was honourary "Orange Bastard" until my patience ran out and I went looking for "American Bars" - a difficult mission in New Jersey.

Cheers

When I travel the local bars may do but every so often I get the urge for real beer and a familiar environment...mostly for the beer. But I will usually seek out an English bar or if a German bar exists I will go there. If the Irish Bar serves a good breakfast then I go there in NYC but thats it. Most Irish bars are such a mono-culture of beer it gets old really fast. No use looking for a Wisconsin bar because it has to have an electric pizza oven for Tombstone Pizza and a deep fryer for cheese curds and have lots of dead animals on the wall, let kids in to play video games and have a large friendly dog that just hangs around and greets everyone.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Kurt wrote:No use looking for a Wisconsin bar because it has to have an electric pizza oven for Tombstone Pizza and a deep fryer for cheese curds and have lots of dead animals on the wall, let kids in to play video games and have a large friendly dog that just hangs around and greets everyone.

That does sound like the a few of the bars I went to in Madison

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:22 pm

I've got that gig in Kandahar confirmed, flying out tomorrow

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 pm

flipflop wrote:I've got that gig in Kandahar confirmed, flying out tomorrow

Cheers

Congrats dude. Stay safe and post pics!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:48 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
flipflop wrote:I've got that gig in Kandahar confirmed, flying out tomorrow

Cheers

Congrats dude. Stay safe and post pics!

Same. Take care and best of luck.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:01 am

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:49 pm

When I was in Kabul, one of the ISAF conference rooms had an original map of Cabul circa 1840, drawn by Sir Frederick Abbott, an Engineer in Her Majesty's forces. Beautiful map. Great detail on the British garrison, Bala Hisar and Palaces, gardens, canals, etc. Cabul was actually a very nice place to be. He was brother to none other than Sir James Abbott, founder of UBL's last known address, Abbottabad.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to History