Since the board is talking Presidents...

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

Since the board is talking Presidents...

Postby vagabond » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:03 am

What are the best US Presidential biographies?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re: Since the board is talking Presidents...

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Anything about JFK.
Sri Lanky

Postby vagabond » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 am

Eh, no JFK for me. I'm under 30 so I've been inundated w/ about every portrayal and story of JFK and his clan and find them all sort of tiresome.

I'm thinking something more like the Teddy Roosevelt trilogy by Edmunds Morris. Is that worth the time investment? He seems like an interesting cat but I know very little more than the bold headline stuff.

I also feel like there's a black hole in my knowledge of the Founders, even Thomas Jefferson. I had to read a great book about John Adams for a Revolutionary War class in college. Or maybe it would be worthwhile just to read their own papers (which seem available by Library of America).
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Vincent » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:35 am

The best of the Teddy Roosevelt trilogy was Theodore Rex, followed by teh first book. I found the final book, Colonel Roosevelt really dragged when it got bogged down in the 1912 race and the building of the Progressive Party.

I want to read American Sphinx, about Thomas Jefferson and a similar history book, but not Presidential that was OUTSTANDING was Undaunted Courage, about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Not actual non-fiction, but a great read on the founding fathers was Burr by Gore Vidal. Definitely a book with a point of view, but a very interesting take.
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Return to History