History of the Franks by Gregory of Tours

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

History of the Franks by Gregory of Tours

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:07 pm

You must get this book. It is pure violence and intrigue with lots of God stuff thrown in to make it even weirder. Usually when someone uses the phrase "get medieval" on someone because of horrible acts of violence I suspect it is from this book that they get these examples from.

Its got patricide, fratricide, betrayal, revenge and runaway slaves. Plus it is only 99 cents on the kindle and does not take up much space. Most ancient works are a snooze fest that you force yourself to read just to learn something about the era or learn what another is referencing, but this book is actually interesting.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: History of the Franks by Gregory of Tours

Postby coldharvest » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:23 am

Kurt wrote:You must get this book. It is pure violence and intrigue with lots of God stuff thrown in to make it even weirder. Usually when someone uses the phrase "get medieval" on someone because of horrible acts of violence I suspect it is from this book that they get these examples from.

Its got patricide, fratricide, betrayal, revenge and runaway slaves. Plus it is only 99 cents on the kindle and does not take up much space. Most ancient works are a snooze fest that you force yourself to read just to learn something about the era or learn what another is referencing, but this book is actually interesting.

Superb.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: History of the Franks by Gregory of Tours

Postby elba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 am

elba

Return to History