What are the coolest Gods and Dieties of different cultures?

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

Postby Stiv » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:01 pm

The Finns pretty much descendants of the Turkish people, ie Turku, Finland.

Best,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:02 pm

The Finns are pretty much descendants of the Turkish people, ie Turku, Finland.

Best,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jäeger » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:16 am

Leading scientists have not been able to determine where the Finns came from exactly, but a few things are certain, we are probably not related to the turks, nor were we ever the most widespread people in Europe.

The modern peoples of Finland, (with some exceptions within the sami peoples) according to DNA, are pretty similar to swedes and other scandinavians. It is assumed that the native inhabitants of Finland died off or were assimilated into the people now living in Finland. The original natives left only their language.

The finnish language developed somewhere in the ural mountains and is a mystery to linguists. It is related (very distantly I might add) to precisly one dialect of hungarian....... and this is all. It's not even distantly related to any other language in the world.

Hyvä joulu ja uusi vousi!!
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Lord Nrsimhadeva protects

Postby Gopi » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:24 am

By performing the rigorous austerity of standing on the tips of his toes for one hundred and twenty five years Hiranyakasipu became so powerful that the demigods prayed to Lord Brahma to keep him from destroying the universe.

Due to his austerity Lord Brahma offered Hiranyakasipu his hearts desire. Hiranyakakasipu demanded that he should not die. Lord Brahma explained to him that even he must die but agreed to his request that he should never be killed in the day or in the night, that he should not die on land or in the air or in the water, that he should not be killed by any man or beast. Hiranyakasipu then asked for the benediction that he could not be killed by any weapon. Lord Brahma also agreed to this benediction and then left.

After receiving these benedictions Hiranyakasipu became more demonic and began conquering the material universe. With each new victory and increase in his power the Demigods became more and more worried.

In time Hiranyakasipu had a son calle Prahlada who was a great devotee of God even from birth. As a small boy of five he would preach about God to his school friends which infuriated his father, Hiranyakasipu. When his father demanded to know what this foolishness was Prahlada explained that because his father was too attached to his own sense gratification he was determined to deny God's existence. To understand God one must first give everything to God and then He would reveal himself.

Hiranyakasipu became so angry that he tried repeatedly to kill his own son, but by meditating on his Lord and chanting His name Prahlada was at no time harmed. First Hiranyakasipu had Prahlada thrown in to a circle of cannibals, then into boiling hot oil, then off a cliff, then trampled under an elephant, then thrown into a snake pit. Then, in desperation, Hiranyakasipu poisoned Prahlada's food, and eventually he became so enraged he lifted his son above his head and smashed him to the floor. When Prahlada still was not harmed Hiranyakasipu demanded to know where he got his super human powers from.

Prahlada replied that he got his strength from the same place as Hiranyakasipu did--from God. Hiranyakasipu demanded to know what and where was this God? Prahlada explained that God is everywhere that everything comes from God. Hiranyakasipu demanded if God was in a big pillar nearby in the palace. When Prahlada said, "Yes, my Lord is in that pillar," Hiranyakasipu stated that he would kill Prahlada's God by using his mace to smash the pillar. As he smashed the pillar Lord Nrsimhadeva, the half man, half lion incarnation of Krishna appeared from the broken pillar and pounced on the shocked demon.

Nrsimhadeva stretched Hiranyakasipu across his lap and with his long nails, he ripped apart the demon. Hiranyakasipu died instantly on Nrsimhadeva's blood drenched lap. He was killed neither on the land, sea nor in the air but on the lap of the Supreme Lord. He was killed neither during the day or the night but in the twilight. He was killed by neither beast nor man, but by the Lord's lotus hands and was killed with no weapons but with the nails of Lord Nrsimhadeva. Thus Hiranyakasipu's benediction from Lord Brahma remained intact and he was killed by the personification of fear, Krishna Himself in His half-man, half-lion form, Lord Nrsimhadeva.

I visited the temple in South India where the stone deity that Nrsimhadeva manifested into was worshipped by Prahlada for the rest of his life.
The strength of a nation is derived from the integrity of its homes.
- Confucius
Gopi
Global Warmer

Freya

Postby uthyr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:42 pm

I am a strange one at the same time I have Mary medels around my neck I have a Thor's Hammer.
However Freya Rocks!

A Viking Sex Drugs and Rock And Roll type girl.

Uthyr
who is taking care of many wild cats in Midwinter in service to her.
uthyr

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:54 am

Kali is nifty too

The Hindoo belive we live in the
Iron Age of Kali.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby el3so » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:06 pm

ProzacElf wrote:http://pages.zoom.co.uk/thuban/html/kaliyuga.html

Okay by me, it is time for the cockroaches to take over anyways
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

The Coolest Gods and Deities

Postby lotus » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:18 am

During the years spent hangin' with /covering Tibetans I got a kick out of a legend/ story about the enslavement of an emanation of Lord Shiva by a power hungry Tibetan Lama and friends. If that's not karmic overload I don't know what is...

They threw this actual spirit into a trunk and locked it up with chains for 'later on' when they planned to open it up and send him out to do the dirty work on the astral plane during warfare.

Apparently the monks came in and found blood oozing from the trunk.
Shiva's emanation apparently didn't take too kindly to being locked up
and tried to set a trap to get them to open up the trunk.

Eeeww

MORE

Tibetan emanation of a kick your butt protector deity as told to me BY THE CURRENT LIVING EMANATION Of this deitiy:
(a cool kid in the Himalayas with servants and my fave soda stocked prior to my surprise arrival by some wierd coincidence- lol lol . Nothing's wierd with those guys- they're psychic voyiers to the max. Anyway...

Buddhist man meditates daily for months. Starts to hear tapping on the inner wall of his house. drives him nuts to the point of tearing dow the wall. Inside he finds this huge gross Scorpion. Scorp says he's the
manifestation of all the twisted sick untamed thoughts most humans
create when they're unaware. Jealously, envy, hatered..all the ususal
bad stuff. Scorp makes the guy haul him over the Himalayas to a holy place. Scorp says thanks as they leave him there to eat the emotional pain of so many.

And to think I used to sit and hear these legends instead of
sitting and watching tv back here stateside. Somehow the legends
seem cooler but for a few good shows.

Lotus
lotus

Postby cbychoice » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:28 pm

Rome had a foothold west of the Rhein but
had to give up the east and north Germanic territory
after the routing through Guerilla warfare by Armin in
9 A.D (Herman the Cherusker in the "Teutoburger Wald)"
The Romans lost 3 Legions with the
Govenor Quintilicus Varus falling into his own sword.
In time the Romans withdrew out of that region,
this was still at the hight of Roman Power.
Battle in the Teutoburg forest (German Teutoburger Wald): the defeat of the Roman commander Publius Quintilius Varus against the Germanic tribesmen of the Cheruscian leader Arminius in 9 CE.
I guess Armin prayed to the Germanic Gods!

http://www.livius.org/te-tg/teutoburg/t ... tml#battle
A little bit of inconsistancy saves a lot of explanation later
cbychoice
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:42 pm

i find real people far more fascinating than gods, but this guy is both.

"Guan Yu has been deified as early as the Sui Dynasty and is still popularly worshipped today among the Chinese people variedly as an indigenous Chinese deity, a bodhisattva in Buddhism and a guardian deity in Taoism. He is also held in high esteem in Confucianism. These are not necessarily contradictory or even distinguished among the common folks as is characteristic of the Chinese, who have quite seamlessly merged these ancient philosophies and religions into their own culture.

In the West, Guan Yu is sometimes called the Taoist God of War, probably because he is one of the most well-known military generals in Chinese history. This is misconceived as, unlike Mars or Tyr, Guan Yu as a god does not necessarily bless those who go to battle but rather anyone who observes the code of brotherhood and righteousness."
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:58 pm

Guan Yu?
Why he used a Kwan Dao and that is fucking cool.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Fenrisco » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:04 pm

Fenris, oddly.

In Norse mythology, the Fenrisulfr, Wolf of Fenrir, Fenris or simply Fenrir is a monstrous wolf, the son of Loki and the giantess Angrboða. Fenrir is bound by the gods, but is ultimately destined to grow too large for his bonds and devour Odin during the course of Ragnarök. At that time he will have grown so large that his upper jaw touches the sky while his lower touches the earth when he gapes. After killing Odin he will be slain by Odin's son, Viðarr, who will either stab him in the heart or rip his jaws asunder according to different accounts.

The most important source of our information about Fenrir appears in the "Gylfaginning" section of Snorri Sturluson's Edda, although there are other, often contradictory, accounts and sources which need to be assessed (e.g. in Lokasenna Loki threatens Thor with destruction by Fenrir at the forthcoming Ragnarök once Fenrir has destroyed Odin).
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:47 pm

Vineman...the incarnation...

The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Re: What are the coolest Gods and Dieties of different cultu

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:01 pm

The most universal and coolest would probably be the snake or serpant which could be seen as a symbol of DNA or any other powerful self-replicating entity. It also represents the power of kundalini and the human spine with it's associated chakras. It is definitely a higher power. It is ancient and it can bite back.

It is still used as a medical symbol today.
Sri Lanky

Postby el3so » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:03 am

Damn, Sri, did you just revive a 7 year old thread and reposition it into a sub-folder that didn't even exist back then?

I don't know whether I am perturbed more by the possible effects this might have on the space-time continuum or by your mod haXor skillz.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

PreviousNext

Return to History