Colombia-Hezbollah link

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Colombia-Hezbollah link

Postby Penta » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:48 am

I meant to post this yesterday but got distracted by Q chasing me all round the board with his infantile insults.

This is a really embarrassing bit of news, since the US has been busting a gut to connect Chávez with Hezbollah. Now they´ve finally got some evidence, apparently, and oh dear, it´s not Venezuela but their best friends Colombia that have the connections, and not FARC but the paramilitary cartels (who, they keep telling us, had already been dismantled, or at least had their teeth pulled - and of course are nothing to do with Uribe).

You'll notice that since it doesn't suit the agenda, it hasn't had the usual splash coverage. Just the LAT, the BBC and VOA, basically, apart from a few foreign outlets. And just look at the different approaches: the BBC reports the basic facts, and doesn't mention FARC, since it's not relevant. The LAT goes into more detail, but also adds a whole lot of extraneous stuff about FARC and Venezuela. VOA takes the easy way out, by keeping it so short, with so little detail, that readers would be none the wiser about who's responsible.

Colombia hails end of drugs ring

Colombian officials say a global drug-trafficking ring that stretched from South America to Asia has been smashed after two years of police work.
Since July 2006, 111 people suspected of working for Colombian cartels and paramilitaries have been in the country and overseas, officials say.
Among those detained in Colombia were three men suspected of channelling funds to Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas.
The South American country is the world's biggest producer of cocaine.
A statement from the attorney general's office said the international police operation, codenamed Titan, had been under way for more than two years.
Its aim was to break up a drug-trafficking and money-laundering ring that operated globally, from Colombia to the US, Canada, Europe and the Middle East.
"The criminal organisation used routes through Venezuela, Panama, Guatemala, the Middle East and Europe, bringing in cash from the sale of these substances via different means of money-laundering," the statement said.
Ninety people were detained overseas, while raids in the cities of Bogota, Cali, Medellin and Pereira led to 21 further arrests.
Among those arrested in were three men who the authorities say used front companies to send money back to their home countries in the Middle East.
The funds were for the "alleged financing of terrorist groups like Hezbollah", the attorney-general's office said.
Colombia remains the world's top cocaine producer despite US aid to tackle the illegal drugs crop.
Since 2000, Washington has spent some $5bn (£3bn) training Colombian forces and providing equipment and intelligence to combat drug-traffickers and eliminate coca crops.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7684128.stm

Colombian cocaine ring linked to Hezbollah
U.S. and Colombian officials say they have dismantled a South American-based drug ring that helped finance the Lebanon-based Shiite militant group.
By Chris Kraul and Sebastian Rotella
11:19 PM PDT, October 21, 2008
Reported from Bogota, Colombia and Madrid -- U.S. and Colombian investigators have dismantled an international cocaine smuggling and money laundering ring that allegedly used part of its profits to finance Hezbollah, the Lebanon-based Shiite militia, officials said Tuesday.

Culminating a two-year investigation, authorities arrested at least 36 suspects in recent days, including an accused Lebanese kingpin in Bogota, the Colombian capital. Chekry Harb, who used the alias "Taliban," acted as the hub of an unusual and alarming alliance between South American cocaine traffickers and Middle Eastern militants, Colombian investigators allege.

Authorities accuse Harb of being a "world-class money launderer" whose ring washed hundreds of millions of dollars a year, from Panama to Hong Kong, while paying a percentage to Hezbollah, which is designated as a terrorist group by the United States and Israel. Harb was charged with drug-related crimes in a sealed indictment filed in Miami in July, but terrorism-related charges have not been filed.

The suspects allegedly worked with a Colombian cartel and a paramilitary group to smuggle cocaine to the United States, Europe and the Middle East. Harb traveled extensively to Lebanon, Syria and Egypt and was in phone contact with Hezbollah figures, according to Colombian officials.

"The profits from the sales of drugs went to finance Hezbollah," said Gladys Sanchez, lead investigator for the special prosecutor's office in Bogota, in an interview. "This is an example of how narco-trafficking is a theme of interest to all criminal organizations, the FARC, the paramilitaries and terrorists."

The FARC is the Spanish acronym for the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia guerrilla group.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration led the far-flung investigation, playing a central role in nailing down the Hezbollah connection, Sanchez said. U.S. officials in Bogota and Washington declined to discuss details of their evidence.

Iran, Hezbollah's longtime sponsor, and donations from the Lebanese diaspora are two sources for a multimillion-dollar budget that pays for the militia's armed and political wings and for social projects such as hospitals in Beirut. But investigations around the world have shown that Hezbollah also funds itself through drug dealing, arms trafficking, contraband smuggling and other rackets in the Americas, Africa and elsewhere.

Western anti-terrorism agents have expressed concern about an increasing Hezbollah presence in South America. The militia is accused of two major anti-Jewish bombings in Argentina in the 1990s. In June, the U.S. Treasury Department designated two Venezuelans of Lebanese descent, one a diplomat, as Hezbollah financiers and supporters.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's alliance with Iran raises fears that his country could become a base for Hezbollah activity, said U.S. and Israeli anti-terrorist officials who spoke anonymously because of the issue's sensitivity. Venezuela has strongly denied any links to terrorist activity.

Venezuela also serves as the corridor for a third of Colombian cocaine bound for the U.S. and Europe, including some loads moved by Harb's group, Colombian investigators said.

The case unveiled Tuesday began as a money laundering probe, but as agents followed the money they discovered the links between Harb and Hezbollah operatives, investigators said. Harb's group paid Hezbollah 12% of its profits, much of it in cash, the investigators said, without giving a dollar figure.

The inquiry grew into Operation Titan, a two-year case worked by Colombian and U.S. agents that has led to more than 130 arrests and the seizure of $23 million, Sanchez said. Investigators deployed 370 wiretaps and monitored 700,000 conversations.

"This case was brought about by putting undercover agents into the money laundering cycle," said a U.S. government official who was not authorized to comment publicly. "This has given us a window into the worldwide financial enterprise that by dotted lines links traffickers from South America and the United States to West Africa, Europe and Hong Kong."

The drugs were allegedly sent via Panama, Venezuela and Guatemala to the U.S., the Middle East and Europe.

Chinese police this year captured Oscar Cano Alazate, a Colombian accused of setting up dozens of front companies in Hong Kong to launder money for the group. Hong Kong and the Panama free-trade zone served as centers for a scheme whereby drug cash from the U.S. was funneled to firms that use it to buy goods, which are shipped to Colombia and sold to be turned back into cash, investigators said.

The group also used human couriers, fake businesses, international transfers and real estate transactions to launder the money in other locations, including Africa and Canada, Colombian officials said.

On Oct. 13, Colombian police arrested Harb, who lived on a resident's visa in Bogota with his family, after learning that he had an Air France ticket to Syria for the next day and becoming concerned that he might flee. They also arrested the other accused boss, Ali Mohamad Rahim, and Harb's brother, Zacaria, both Lebanese immigrants who had been living in Bogota. Chekry Harb is in his late 50s and Rahim in his early 40s, officials said.

Colombian officials said the three are among 15 of the suspects who will be extradited to the United States.

Harb's key suppliers in Bogota included leaders of the so-called Office of Envigado, according to Colombian authorities. The paramilitary drug trafficking organization headed by Diego Fernando Murillo, known as Don Berna, and other former foot soldiers of the late Medellin cartel boss Pablo Escobar has an international reach.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 6704.story

Colombia Dismantles Drug Ring With Alleged Hezbollah Ties
By VOA News
22 October 2008

Colombian authorities have announced the dismantling of an international drug and money-laundering ring that had alleged ties to Hezbollah guerrillas in the Middle East.

The attorney general's office says an international sting led to the arrest of nearly 100 suspects in Colombia and other countries.

Authorities say those arrested include three suspects from the Middle East who allegedly used profits from the drug trade to fund Hezbollah.

Hezbollah is a Lebanon-based Shi'ite militant group that the United States considers a terrorist organization.

Colombian officials say the drug ring used routes in Venezuela, Panama, Guatemala, Europe and the Middle East.
http://voanews.com/english/2008-10-22-voa37.cfm
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Re: Colombia-Hezbollah link

Postby Vincent » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Very interesting articles, but hardly surprising. My thesis, which I am supposed to be working hard on, is the use of organized criminal infrastructure by terror organizations. I haven't really focused on on the drug aspect of it, mostly on the smuggling aspect.

Hezbollah has a pretty extensive network in place in the Western Hemisphere, with strong bases of support in Venezuela (and North Carolina, for that matter). I understand the connections the government is trying to make between Chavez and Hez, but Hezbollah's presence precedes Chavez' ascent by a very long time and that issue is just political grandstanding and wishful thinking.

What I am intrigued about is this guy Harb's role. Why is he giving money to Hez? Are they shaking him down, due perhaps, to significant financial interests he may have in Lebanon? Or is he simply laundering money for them and taking a piece off the top.

Interesting. Thanks for that.
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Vincent wrote:I understand the connections the government is trying to make between Chavez and Hez, but Hezbollah's presence precedes Chavez' ascent by a very long time and that issue is just political grandstanding and wishful thinking.

Indeed.

What I am intrigued about is this guy Harb's role. Why is he giving money to Hez? Are they shaking him down, due perhaps, to significant financial interests he may have in Lebanon? Or is he simply laundering money for them and taking a piece off the top.

Obviously, I can't answer that. As I'm sure you know, though, Levantines, whether of Lebanese, Syrian or Palestinian descent (all usually simply referred to in South America as Syrians/sirios), immigrated in some numbers and worked initially mostly as travelling tradesmen in rural areas (much like the famous early Scottish Pakistanis). So they also, naturally, ended up being the local moneylenders (cf Jews in parts of Europe). Short step from there (for some; I don't mean to badmouth all South American sirios) to smuggling across borders, money-laundering and so on. And the successful ones ended up being big businessmen - or President of Argentina (in which specific case, it was just another excuse for corruption and general kleptocracy on a rather grander scale). Plus, with strong family/clan links, they naturally send money back home if they can: if they're Shi'ites with Lebanese roots, a lot of that money is going to go to Hezbollah for their social programmes, regardless of whether there is any ideological support or not.

There are a couple of examples of "Syrian" rural traders in Latin American novels; I'm trying to remember which. I think Isabel Allende's Eva Luna, which is set in Venezuela, and I can't think where else.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Jäeger » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:29 pm

Very interesting articles, but hardly surprising. My thesis, which I am supposed to be working hard on, is the use of organized criminal infrastructure by terror organizations. I haven't really focused on on the drug aspect of it, mostly on the smuggling aspect.

That ought to be an interesting thesis. I would think that a lack of shared ideological aims between terrorist groups and criminal enterprises would create a vulnerable point to attack, similar to the involvement of Italian organised crime in the allied war effort during WWII.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby Vincent » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:43 pm

a lack of shared ideological aims between terrorist groups and criminal enterprises would create a vulnerable point to attack

It is perhaps when you consider the center of gravity to be in the human terrain. For example, Islamic terrorists often use religious rationales and justifications for violent acts. But who actually makes the call as to whether is is theologically permissible to sell drugs, extort a business or kill a Muslim in the pursuit of jihadist goals? Well, with Sunni Islam, the answer is nobody. Or everybody. Or anybody. The concept of ijtihad allows for individual reason to prevail in interpreting Islamic law.

So the local terror cell has a mullah or religious leader who makes fatwas for their groups, which remarkably, offer legal religious sanction for selling drugs, extorting businesses, or killing other Muslims.

But this is an important point, as I have made the argument that Islamic Fundamentalism is a self-limiting ideology - much like Communism. For more than the short term, no one chooses to live in a fundamentalist society because it runs counter to human nature. However, efforts to attack along those lines fail when the ideology offering an alternative (free-market democracy) is perceived by the target audience to be equally hypocritical and corrupt.

But that would only matter of terror organizations honestly subscribed to idealogical aims. Much like organized crime, the ideological aims of most terror organizations is to increase and solidify their power and get a bigger cut of the pie. So, the marriage of convenience with organized crime actually works out quite well.
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jäeger » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:00 pm

But that would only matter of terror organizations honestly subscribed to idealogical aims. Much like organized crime, the ideological aims of most terror organizations is to increase and solidify their power and get a bigger cut of the pie. So, the marriage of convenience with organized crime actually works out quite well.

I would think that marriage of convenience could be broken up pretty easily due to the lack of shared ideological goals. I don't think it would be very ethical or moral, but in a real-politick sense, wouldn't it be effective to work with the criminal element (as a lesser of two evils) in opposition to the more ideological element? It's not like gangsters are known for impeccable honour and integrity and getting them to sell out the terrorist elements might be an "affordable" option.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

For your paper

Postby Jefe » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Terrorism, drugs/crime for finance & money laundering are all inter-woven.

Check into Panama whorehouses run by islamics to wash money and turn in legit.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Is Hezbollah's involvement in drug trafficking a way of hedging its bets for the day it gets cut off by Iran and Syria? I know all this is nothing new, but given the fact that Hezbollah has been Syria's big bargaining chip regarding getting the Golan Heights back, Nasrallah et al. must be thinking about ways to achieve complete independence. If that's the case, then I would expect Hezbollah to get WAY more active in this arena the closer Syria and Israel get to a peace agreement.
redharen
small ax

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Dutchess Penta wrote:
but got distracted by Q chasing me all round the board with his infantile insults.

Tut tut tut me auld gel. Mussent grumble!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Penta » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:23 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
Tut tut tut me auld gel. Mussent grumble!

Why not, me old mucker?
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:50 pm

Money-laundering is universal.

The real reason the Russians offered to bail out Iceland is due to the fact that Icelandic banks launder Russian Mafia money.
Sri Lanky

Return to Black Flag Cafe