new ad campaign in Saudi targets abuse of foreign workers

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

new ad campaign in Saudi targets abuse of foreign workers

Postby dawud » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:56 am

WAY, WAY overdue - I was in Saudi when that Indonesian maid lost her limbs after being tied up in a washroom for a month, because she burn a meal (or really just pissed off the 'lady of the house') - abuse of Bengali and African foreign workers is most common...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7796051.stm

the ad itself, which is more powerful if you understand Arabic: he berates the first maid for "messing up" his shamagh, refuses to pay a small charity and abuses the man opening his door, tells the poor Bengali worker off for walking in front of him, refuses an employee time off from work when his daughter falls ill - and then raises his hands in prayer, pleading with God to help him "because he's weak and poor" - and the ad closes with a hadith from the Prophet: "Who does not show mercy (to the creation), will not be shown Mercy (by the Creator)."

direct link to the ad clip on the BBC website
Religion is often criticized for its heavy-handed approach to guilt and shame. The Ford fiasco convinces me that there is an important place for both.
dawud
BFCus Regularus

Re: new ad campaign in Saudi targets abuse of foreign workers

Postby flipflop » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:35 am

Polishing a turd

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby dawud » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:17 am

stalker

... 7
Religion is often criticized for its heavy-handed approach to guilt and shame. The Ford fiasco convinces me that there is an important place for both.
dawud
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:23 pm

It is indeed overdue, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. This is a huge problem all over the Gulf region.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe