Peru: Battles over exploitation of indigenous lands

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Peru: Battles over exploitation of indigenous lands

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:53 am

Are you crazy? I have a sassy, bright and beautiful wife aged 29, why would I even think of throwing a leg over a saggy-titted, washed up, geriatric fag-ash Lilly, who smokes 40 Bensons a day? Can you imagine what state her teeth and breath must be in? Fuck me, behave yourself.

Cheers

Next year, your 29 year old wife will be 30. In eleven years, 40 and in 20 years, 59. I'm not sure how old Penta is, but I don't think she's 59, and the next thing you know you'll be doing the nasty with a chick that is older than Penta. Don't kid yourself. ;-)

Behave? You're kidding right? LOL!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:13 am

Woodsman wrote: I'm not sure how old Penta is,

I'll bet you $50 you can't hit her age with three darts

but I don't think she's 59,

You're almost bang on, how good at darts are you?

and the next thing you know you'll be doing the nasty with a chick that is older than Penta.

Who says I'll want to by then? More likely be on the golf course

Behave? You're kidding right? LOL!

Yes, I am ;-))

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:21 am

Woodsman wrote:
Next year, your 29 year old wife will be 30. In eleven years, 40 and in 20 years, 59.

Hang on, where the fuck did you go to school?

LOL

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Penta » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:27 am

Woodsman: you're a gentleman.

flipflop wrote:Who says I'll want to by then?

Who says you'll be capable then? Who says you're capable now, for that matter, thou cullionly puke-stocking pumpion?
The lovely V has my sympathy.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Penta » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:28 pm

There's another confrontation brewing up.

Briefly, Hunt Oil and Repsol have been searching for oil in a part of the Amazon basin in southern Peru that is an indigenous reserve. The indigenous people living there have legal rights to preserve the integrity of the reserve (flora, fauna, community livelihoods and all that) and the final word on whether there is mineral development there. Unsurprisingly, they don't want it to happen.

On 13 September, representatives of Hunt Oil, Repsol and the indigenous people signed a final agreement which said that "the entry of Hunt Oil and Respol into the interior of the RCA [the Reserva Comunal Amarakaeri] to execute seismic projects is not accepted, a decision that will be respected by the Peruvian State, Hunt Oil and Repsol".

But the people running the seismic survey still haven't left, or even halted the survey. So the executive committee in charge of the administration of the reserve has signed and published a "pronunciamento", saying that they will, if necessary, use force to throw the company and its staff off the reserve if they refuse to go willingly.

Here's a blog report in English:
http://incakolanews.blogspot.com/2009/1 ... mazon.html

Meanwhile, the horrible story about alleged detention/kidnap and torture of local environmental protesters at a then British-owned copper mine in Peru (and allowing one of them to bleed slowly to death), which I've been following for ages, has finally reached the high court in London. (Again, the background is that the company failed to abide by the laws protecting the local community and their environment.)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oc ... ng-protest
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... ontroversy
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Update

Postby Penta » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Penta wrote:I can tell you that the Asociación Nacional de Periodistas (ANP) [National Journalists' Association] and the Confederación General de Trabajadores de Perú (CGTP) [General Workers' Confederation of Peru, i.e. TUC] have both condemned the closure. That the CGTP Secretary General, Mario Huamán, described the closure as "yet another sign of the authoritarianism of this regime" that is using pretexts to try to silence opposition media. That the local branch of the ANP says the closure should be reversed as a restriction on freedom of speech. That the lawyer for the Coordinadora Nacional de Derechos Humanos [National Co-ordinator for Human Rights], Víctor Álvarez, who has been on a fact-finding trip to the area, says he has received reports that journalists were threatened to prevent them broadcasting versions of events different from the government's official line.

That the station's licence was awarded for 10 years from 2007, that it was revoked supposedly for failure to have its equipment ready for inspection and that its owners and its director have denied that charge. In addition, the director, Carlos Flores, said that was false because the station installed all the right equipment, asked the ministry for the relevant inspection, the ministry fixed the date and then didn't turn up. He also said that the licence withdrawal was a government manoeuvre to silence the station which had been reporting widely and objectively on the protests.

That the PM, Yehude Simón, assured the foreign press that the government respects the communications media and freedom of the press, even though he and other ministers "gave a tongue-lashing" [fustigaron] to jungle radio stations, which they accused of lying.

And finally, I can report that the reason the government is so annoyed is reported to be because the stations (plural) reported numerous deaths of indigenous people last week, while the government is sticking to its original figures of 24 police and only 9 civilians. Meanwhile, at least 30 indigenous people are said to have been killed, and 61 more have been listed by name by Asociación Pro Derechos Humanos (Aprodeh) [Pro-Human Rights Association] as still missing. They have also said 133 people have been detained without charge and 189 injured. There have been unconfirmed eyewitness reports of the army and/or police dropping bodies from helicopters into rivers and burning bodies (on the ground, obviously).

That's all from Spanish-language reports. Meanwhile, you might like to look at Channel 4 News's report last night:

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/w ... ru/3211457

The citation from Index on Censorship's awards yesterday:

The Guardian Journalism Award

This award recognises journalism of dogged determination and bravery

Radio La Voz (Peru)

Operating in Bagua Grande in the Utcubamba Region of Peru, Radio La Voz was founded in 2007 by respected broadcast journalist Carlos Flores Borja and his sons. The aim of the station is to broadcast cultural programmes and information about environmental protection and human rights, fight political corruption and support local communities. Radio La Voz lost its licence in June 2009 after the government accused the station of ‘supporting violence against security forces’ when deadly clashes shook the area in mid-2009. Thirty-four people were killed as Amazonian communities protested about the opening up of huge tracts of land to foreign investment. To date no government representative has offered any evidence to support the veracity of its allegation against the radio station. Flores Borja says that La Voz was only doing its duty as an independent media source. He claims “the government took advantage of the moment to silence a voice critical of its policies”. On 16 February 2010, the case against Radio La Voz was dropped.

But to date, they still haven't been given back their licence.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe