England/Wales crime figures, 2008-9

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

England/Wales crime figures, 2008-9

Postby Penta » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:36 pm

Those who like to portray us as suffering from ever-rising violent crime, unable to defend ourselves, cowering in fear, might like to look at the latest figures, from the 2 recorded sets, police recorded crime and the British Crime Survey (which is always considered a bit more reliable as a general guide to actual crime).

Homicide (murder, manslaughter, infanticide): lowest for 20 years; 648 in 2008/09, down 136 from 07/08; attempted murder also down, by 7%.

Gun crime: incidents involving a firearm down 17%; fatal shootings down from 53 to 38.

Knife crime: fatal stabbings with knives down from 270 to 252; attempted murders involving a knife up from 245 to 271; robberies involving knives down 2%.

Violent crime overall: stable according to BCS; down 6% according to police recorded figures; violence causing personal injury down 7%.

Domestic burglary: up 1%

Shoplifting: up 10%

Fraud, including credit card fraud: up 5%; fraud by company directors up 313%.

Overall crime: stable according to BCS; down 5% according to police recorded figures.

Meanwhile, 75% of the public believe crime is rising.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Re: England/Wales crime figures, 2008-9

Postby dgold0101 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:45 pm

perhaps thats because every english kid ive met in their 20's talks nonstop about the pub fights they've been in and how dangerous it is in whatever their home town is, whether it be wales, bristol, or london. I swear, the english deserve the unfair reputation americans have. If I have to listen to one more, "me and my mates back home would've/me and my mates back home once" story....
dgold0101
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:03 am

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:59 am

In my experience the international perception is generally not that Britain is a dangerous, crime-ridden place with a high proportion of easily-exploited fearful ninnies, it's simply that Britain is a place with a high proportion of easily-exploited fearful ninnies. The bolded statistic seems to support this, unfortunately.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:29 am

It's certainly scary that so many people are convinced we live in a permanently rising crime wave. ;)
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Return to Black Flag Cafe