The UK: Teaching Girls to Hate Men, Now at 5 Years Old!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The UK: Teaching Girls to Hate Men, Now at 5 Years Old!

Postby SRR » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Just guess which gender will get the majority of the talk-time about "domestic violence"...... in spite of the fact that women are just as likely to use passive-aggressive methods to bully their partners, or just plain outright aggressive methods to hurt them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/educ ... 378341.stm

Domestic violence lessons: are they a step too far?

By Angela Harrison
BBC News education reporter

The issue of domestic violence is to be added to the school timetable in England. But head teachers say schools are being asked to solve all of society's problems.

Many campaigners say it is vital schools are used to help tackle this problem and others which can blight people's lives.

Domestic violence is being added to the long list of topics currently taught under what is known as PSHE (Personal, Social health and economic education).

It will sit alongside drug awareness, bullying, sex education, healthy living, personal finance, body image and careers advice as topics to be covered.

There is a link between family dysfunction and domestic violence and the best way of tackling that is to make sure kids have a good education
Anastasia de Waal, Civitas think tank

PSHE is currently not compulsory, but if legislation goes through, it will be from 2011.

Anastasia de Waal, director of family and education at the think-tank Civitas, says the curriculum is already too crowded and forcing schools to teach children about domestic violence is not the best way to tackle this serious problem.

"Lowering domestic violence is hugely important and I feel very strongly about that. More should be done to raise awareness so that it is seen as totally unacceptable and beyond the pale, " she said.

WHAT IS PHSE?
Personal, social, health and economic education
Topics include: alcohol, drug and tobacco awareness; bullying; sex and relationship education; sexuality; careers advice; personal finance; healthy living; body image and how the body changes; personal well-being
Taught in age-appropriate ways in both primary and secondary school
The government wants the subject to be compulsory from 2011

"I don't think primary school is the place to do that. I don't think it would be effective and it risks being confusing and setting up negative relationships between boys and girls, pushing the stereotypical view of relationships between girls and boys.

Ms De Waal says that domestic violence - like other forms of violence - is about a loss of self control and good schools with a strong ethos will foster self discipline and self-control in young people.

She also points out that there is a link between dysfunctional families, domestic violence and poor education, so a good education is a key factor in dealing with this problem.

"The curriculum is over-stuffed at the moment. Teachers are not able to focus on the things that make a difference. By adding another subject, you are in danger of over-burdening teachers and adding another tick box.

"There is a link between family dysfunction and domestic violence and the best way of tackling that is to make sure kids have a good education."

'All society's problems'

Head teachers agree too many demands are being placed on the school timetable.

"It is an important issue but the school curriculum is very overcrowded especially in the expectation of what is taught in PSHE," says John Dunford, head of the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL).

"We cannot have the situation where the Home Secretary decides what is on the school curriculum.

"It sometimes feels as if schools are being asked to solve all of society's problems."

Campaigners against violence against women insist it is vital schools talk to children about the issue.

The chief executive of the domestic violence charity Refuge, Sandra Horley, has welcomed the plans:

"Doing nothing isn't an option for schools.

I know that I will be ridiculed as an idealist ... but these decisions really make me feel marginalised as a parent
Alison, Northumberland

"We need to sow the seeds for relationships in the future - relationships based on equality and respect and Refuge believes it's important to teach children about healthy relationships to equip them with the skills to have positive relationships and respect others."

But what do parents think about their children being taught about such issues?

Many want to protect their children - especially the youngest - from hearing about the harsh realities of some people's lives.

Margaret Morrissey, of the Parents Outloud campaign group, said "political correctness risked turning children into mini-adults from the age of five".

Among comments sent to the BBC News website on the issue was one from Alison, from Cramlington in Northumberland.

"As a responsible parent I object to the decisions that are being taken by the government on my behalf about how and when my children should be educated on subjects like this (sex education at primary level being another case in point).

"I want my children to learn about these things in their own time and they should learn by example that violence is not acceptable.

"I know that I will be ridiculed as an idealist when it comes to this attitude and I know that the world does not work this way now but these decisions really make me feel marginalised as a parent who takes all that that entails seriously and does the best that I can by my children to teach them to be caring, thinking people."

'Ignored issues'

The government says teaching on the subject will be appropriate to age. The youngest children would only be taught about the harm bullying and name-calling could do.

A DCSF spokesperson said: "Schools have a crucial role to play, alongside parents, in helping children and young people to develop healthy relationships, deal with their emotions and challenge the way in which some young men behave towards young women.

"What is taught in the classroom, the school's values and ethos and the way in which it deals with bullying and inappropriate behaviour can all have an important impact.

"Schools have existing statutory duties to develop and implement behaviour, anti-bullying and gender equality policies, and to safeguard and promote the welfare of their pupils. This gives a strong framework for schools to counteract violence against women and girls."

Good relationship education within strong PSHE education from an early age lays the foundation for positive relationships
Bill Moore, Buckinghamshire PSHE adviser

There seems to be more support for teaching older children about such issues.

Martin Brennan, from Eastbourne Technology College, wrote in to say: "We have already taught about domestic violence as it is an important but largely ignored issue.

"Its also important to concentrate not just on the obvious signs of abuse in relationship but all forms, including bullying behaviour, which can be verbal, financial and emotional. Students started to talk about issues in their friends' relationships and in some cases incidents of domestic abuse they witnessed."

Bill Moore in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, wrote: "I am an adviser for PSHE education and fully support the role schools, in partnership, can play in developing understanding, coping skills and raising awareness of this issue.

"However, to see things in isolation is not helpful. This is part of relationship education as a whole, along with sex education, friendship, anti-bullying and discrimination.

"In each of these, how we understand relationship, how we respect ourselves and others, lie at the foundation of addressing the issue. Good relationship education within strong PSHE education from an early age lays the foundation for positive relationships as children grow into adulthood. And it is more often with the adults that we need to work."
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Re: The UK: Teaching Girls to Hate Men, Now at 5 Years Old!

Postby Penta » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:19 pm

Come on, snap out of it. It's not that bad. Didn't I give you a big hug just to show that we're not all feminazis?
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby SRR » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Teaching paranoia is never cool. And teaching women that men are only out to hurt them pretty much sets women up to set out to hurt men instead.

It's an ugly truth that lefties forget, and sadly there's damning evidence against them.
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Penta » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:53 pm

SRR wrote:Teaching paranoia is never cool. And teaching women that men are only out to hurt them pretty much sets women up to set out to hurt men instead.

It's an ugly truth that lefties forget, and sadly there's damning evidence against them.

How is it teaching paranoia? And how is it teaching women that men are only out to hurt them? You're imagining things.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby SRR » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Teaching domestic violence =

Men beat women.

Men are aggressive.

Men abuse their wives.

As a child, be attentive for "signs" of this.

Given the tight time constraints for teaching "domestic violence", that's about as far as it will go for informing a 5 year-old about domestic violence.

I'd like to say such a curriculum would include female passive-aggressiveness towards husbands, or screwing the milkman to deliberately hurt the husband..... but I bet you it won't be covered.

The long-term effects of such a simplified view of "domestic violence" will likely be a generation of females who despise men.

And that's sad.
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Jäeger » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:18 pm

School's not the place for it. Domestic violence should be learned at home.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby Penta » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:22 pm

I've spent quite a lot of time (as an adult, I mean) in primary schools. And quite a few of the kids I dealt with had plenty of experience of domestic violence. What schools can do is help them deal with it in a much safer environment.
The long-term effects of such a simplified view of "domestic violence"

You don't think that's your simplified view of how it will be taught?
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Jäeger » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 pm

"An abstract vague notion of humour" may be just slightly too generous of an assessment.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby Penta » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:29 pm

I got it. I was replying to SRR, not you.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby SRR » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:44 pm

Penta wrote:You don't think that's your simplified view of how it will be taught?

If you obtain evidence of english teachers mentioning domestic violence of women against men, I will gladly buy you a reasonably priced bottle of wine.
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby coldharvest » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:52 pm

SRR wrote:
Penta wrote:You don't think that's your simplified view of how it will be taught?

If you obtain evidence of english teachers mentioning domestic violence of women against men, I will gladly buy you a reasonably priced bottle of wine.

.....and I'll buy you a Mercedes-Benz.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:57 pm

Wine would be good. I have no use for another Benz. ;)
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Jäeger » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 pm

On a serious note, there has to be more than just a class, because if a kid starts talking about it at school, it can lead to you catching a real beating at home. Domestic violence is a more complex problem than just a class can deal with.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:37 am

This is just fuckin' ugly no matter how it's sliced. Most of the domestics we attend involve either the woman stabbing the man in self-defense or the man will beat the shit out of an infant to emotionally injure the woman.

This is the worst thing:that both the man and the woman will abuse the children to take revenge out on each other,it's a sick world.
Sri Lanky

Postby nowonmai » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Yet more proof that skool is shit.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe