Quake leaves 20,000 homeless in Tajikistan

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Quake leaves 20,000 homeless in Tajikistan

Postby marie-angelique » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 am

CNN) -- About 20,000 people were left homeless Sunday, after a 5.1-magnitude earthquake hit eastern Tajikistan on Saturday, according to media reports in Russia and Tajikistan.

The quake shook Tajikistan's mountainous Gorno-Badakhshan province about 7:15 a.m. local time.

The 20,000 people were left homeless in the villages of Rog and Gishkon, where 1,050 mud dwellings were destroyed, according Russia's RIA Novosti news agency.

No fatalities were reported, Tajikistan's Asia Plus news agency said on its Web site, citing Azimjon Shamsiddinov, deputy head of the Vanj district, where the two villages are located.

The Vanj district was among the hardest hit, RIA Novosti said. A hospital, two schools, a recreation center and a prosecutor's office were destroyed in the district, about 400 kilometers (249 miles) southeast of Tajikistan's capital, Dushanbe, according to the news agency.

The U.S. Geological Survey classified the quake as a magnitude 5.3. It was centered 80 km (50 miles) north of Korough, Tajikistan, and was about 44.5 km (27.7 miles) below the Earth's surface, the USGS said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/03/tajikistan.quake/index.html
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Return to Black Flag Cafe