Posada Carriles trial in El Paso

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Posada Carriles trial in El Paso

Postby Penta » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:37 pm

There doesn't seem to be any US news coverage of this so far. So it's down to the Cubans, who say:

Posada Carriles Tells the El Paso Court “I lied because the CIA taught me how.”

By José Pertierra

Translation: Machetera – Tlaxcala

In a motion presented yesterday before the federal court in El Paso, where he is being tried for perjury rather than murder, Luis Posada Carriles offers the curious defense that due to his many years of work with the CIA, his statements when interrogated by U.S. immigration officials shortly after illegally entering the United States in March of 2005 were “the result of confusion, mistake” and “faulty memory.”

Posada alleges that throughout his employment with the CIA, he used various false identities and passports to facilitate his undercover work against Cuba, Venezuela and other Latin American countries. So many lies have led him to be confused now, according to the 14 page legal argument his legal team has presented to Judge Kathleen Cardone.

The prosecutors wish to exclude all the evidence regarding Posada Carriles and the CIA from this trial, arguing that it is irrelevant as well as confidential. Washington knows that Posada has plenty to tell and it is trying to limit his testimony and the evidence to the greatest extent possible so as not to expose the crimes committed by Posada Carriles throughout his decades of work for the CIA.

There are declassified CIA cables in existence, for example, as well as confessions from the material authors of the crime, which establish that Posada was the intellectual author behind the explosion of a Cubana airlines civilian airplane on October 6, 1976, where 73 passengers were killed.

Venezuela presented a request for his extradition in June of 2005, and this remains pending, without the White House attending to it. Posada confessed to the New York Times in 1998 that he had orchestrated a terrorist campaign against hotels and restaurants in Havana which caused the cold-blooded death of Fabio Di Celmo in the Hotel Copacabana, as well as wounding many others.

In previous documents, Posada alleged that everything he did in Latin America, he did “in Washington’s name.” He wants the jury, which is to decide whether he is guilty of perjury, to hear all the evidence on March 1st and be made aware of his close relationship with the CIA. He also knows that the more he threatens to reveal about his relations with the CIA, the more those who conceal the skeletons in Washington’s closet begin to tremble.

In order to convince Judge Cardone that his relationship with the CIA is relevant to the trial in which he is being accused of being a liar, Posada Carriles’ defense is that it was the CIA who taught him how to lie. Hmmmm.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Re: Posada Carriles trial in El Paso

Postby Yeahsure » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:57 pm

That out of the E Howard Hunt playbook P?

Early Happy Valentines' Day by the way.
Good night and good luck - Edward R. Murrow
Yeahsure
BFCus Regularus

Re: Posada Carriles trial in El Paso

Postby Penta » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Yeahsure wrote:That out of the E Howard Hunt playbook P?

I don't know much about Howard Hunt, so I don't really know what that means.

Early Happy Valentines' Day by the way.

Why thank you, sir. And a happy Valentine's Day to you too.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Return to Black Flag Cafe