Chechnya is an internal matter of Russia

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Chechnya is an internal matter of Russia

Postby naqarmoza » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:05 pm

If I received 5 dollars everytime I read this statement on Internet forums I would have been a millionare.

Apart from Vanessa Redgrave and certain jihadi circles, it seems that world has forgotten about Chechnya and about one of the longest struggles for independence.

The same leftist intellectuals and humanists who cry over Middle East are reluctant to talk about Chechnya. Arab countries extradite chechen refugees to Russia. When Ramzan Kadyrov starts a cleaning operation in villages, there are no mass protests of angry Che Guevara-types in Europe.

So why is this poor land forgotten?
naqarmoza

Re: Chechnya is an internal matter of Russia

Postby Mikethehack » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:25 pm

It is not as sexy as Afghanistan, plus it has dragged on for too long and the TV catchy dudes are all dead.
It's a crap sitcom.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby naqarmoza » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Mikethehack wrote:It is not as sexy as Afghanistan, plus it has dragged on for too long and the TV catchy dudes are all dead.
It's a crap sitcom.

Or maybe they are quiet about Chechnya for the same reason they are quiet about Tibet. Dear red mother Russia and dear red mother China. Although they are not that red any more.
naqarmoza

Postby coldharvest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm

When the going gets tough the weak get fucked.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 pm

naqarmoza wrote:So why is this poor land forgotten?

When you figure it out, let me know. But my thought is a bunch of guys who with 8 syllable, muhammadan-esque names aren't going to get fair play these days. Especially whren they blow up school kids.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:

When you figure it out, let me know. But my thought is a bunch of guys who with 8 syllable, muhammadan-esque names aren't going to get fair play these days. Especially whren they blow up school kids.

I bet you know plenty about blowing people, you gimp.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby lightstalker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Because like Mike said, Afghanistan is sexier. We, the west, aren't the ones doing the fighting in Chechnya...therefore the media has no interest in Chechnya....and therefore we don't know anything about the place and/or give a shit. The last Chechen war, which started in 1999, has more or less come to an end in terms of major fighting. The Chechen's have been fighting the Russians since the 16th Century......so ..er.....its pretty complicated.

Oh, as far as crap tv sitcoms go, there is a show called "izzies vs ragheads", which you can catch on any major news network throughout the week, anywhere in the world.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Return to Black Flag Cafe